Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » "Ya want a friend, get a dog"

Author Topic: "Ya want a friend, get a dog"
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earlier today on a CNBC show, Ichan was quite insulting to Mr. Bill Ackman, a fellow guest.

Ichan later tried to apologize and asked Ackman to "be his friend". Ackman firmly refused the offer but what a great time for the line Ichan used against the people of TWA years ago when he was happy with the label "corporate raider" rather than the now-preferred "financer", "If you want a friend...

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
thebear
Post Captain
Member # 349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thebear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard him say in an interview:

"I don't worry about pilots, I worry about mechanics. Pilots are a dime a dozen."

John

upsilon
Post Captain
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upsilon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The genesis of this goes back to 1975 when it was attributed to Harry Truman. Ichan has used it before.

More about it is here: http://www.solomonscandals.com/?p=6303

[ 01-27-2013, 20:01: Message edited by: upsilon ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "favorite" Icahn story was that he shot his race horse, Meadow Star, because the animal wouldn't take a hay cut.
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little more Icahn stuff. I heard somebody say that Uncle Carl divorced his wife and then leased her back. Something to do with tax advantages. Aaand, Is it really true that there is a likeness of his mother in law painted on the tail of Alaska Airline planes? Now that's bad!!
thebear
Post Captain
Member # 349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thebear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And one more piece of trivia; Uncle Carl and Bernie Madoff both graduated from Far Rockaway High School. Go figure.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory