Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Say It Isn't So

Author Topic: Say It Isn't So
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.today.com/travel/flight-attendants-protest-tsa-changes-cannot-stand-1C8743170
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting scenario is playing out on Delta. ALPA, and thus the pilots, is supporting the new rule while the Delta CEO opposes it. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jed Clampett will like this rule change since he likes to whittle. Unfortunately he still won't be able to enjoy this activity on flights.
upsilon
Post Captain
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upsilon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt Eddie, you've mixed together two quite different prohibitions on what can take place on a commercial airplane. Thankfully neither Jed nor anyone else can now smoke on a commercial flight, including the crew in the area formerly known as the "cockpit".

This prohibition preceded 9/11/01 by over ten years, although I am quite aware it was originally limited to the passenger area. I recall the days when FAs often went there to smoke. I am not sure when (or if) it was specifically applied to the Flight Deck. I have heard stories about flight crew that complained about CA smoking never getting any flight time or "landings".

I quit in 1978. In the ensuring 35 years, I have gone from understanding and tolerance to annoyance and no tolerance of tobacco smoke.

But on the other point of the Original Post, I am delighted with the change in the "small knife" rule. In the TSA change small print, it also allows corkscrews, with or without a small knife. I am a wine drinker and before 9/11 I always carried one. Thereafter I often found the wine shop at my destination charged almost as much for a corkscrew as for the wine itself.

I seldom find myself favorably comparing my European air travel experience with travel in the U.S. But compared to the TSA, the equivalent security in Europe is a joy!

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears the F/As are gaining much support for their argument against allowing “small knives” to be carried aboard their airliners. Good for them.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/10/travel/tsa-knives/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember many years ago when I first got started in "the business" when I was ground handling for CO. Back then, smoking was still allowed in the cabin. Guess who got to clean the ashtrays on the RON's. ME! What a disgusting habit.

It was awful having to dig out the overflowing ashtrays and the ashes becoming airborne and having to breath it in. Sneezing and coughing. That was the best rule change ever.

I also remember seeing the dirt streek coming from the cabin heat outflow valve on a/c right on the 727. Always thought that was cigarette smoke discharging from the cabin.

[ 03-11-2013, 08:05: Message edited by: Subsonic Transport ]

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, You are correct! Cigarette smoke caused "brown discharge" on all the airplanes. Sometimes it was enough to cause to outflow valve to malfunction causing cabin pressure control problems.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 14 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Hats Off” and “Three Cheers” to the F/As (and others) for their efforts in preventing TSA chief John Pistole from changing the rules concerning small knives being carried on airliners.The attached story was most welcome news and proves once again the never-ending concern of our cabin (and flight deck) crews for the safety of their passengers. CONGRATULATIONS! [Smile]
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/travel/tsa-knives/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure read the comments at the end of the attachment.Funny.

Nick

For all travelers frustrated, angered, or puzzled by the TSA, there is a support group and web site for you.

http://www.thousandsstandingaround.org/

We salute the men and women of the Transportation Security Administration, the largest public workfare program since the Works Progress Administration. Burger flippers last week, highly trained aviation & railway security agents today, the employees of the Transportation Security Administration stand (and sleep) ever ready to protect America's airways and railways from the dangers of water, toothpaste and baby formula.

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Tom Girtman
Post Captain
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Girtman   Email Tom Girtman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a car key held in a closed fist can do more damage than a small pen knife!Want to stop allowing that?
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

For years, we pilots have had the relative safety of having a locked door between us and problem passengers. It could be said that all during this time, “the F/As have had our backs”. They have spoken..........."We promised 'no knives on planes ever again' and today that promise was kept," the Coalition of Flight Attendant Unions said in a statement.

Their position on this issue deserves and shall always receive my full support.

Randy Kramer

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Captain Kramer. I certainly agree. They take the first hit always.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory