Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Glad I am retired!

Author Topic: Glad I am retired!
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen; Things have been very quiet [Big Grin] over the summer so hope all had good times. Now, after seeing this video, how long before commercial aviation is going to take a stab at it. Enjoy the sight and it is quite amazing.
http://video.boeing.com/services/player/bcpid1143560534001?bckey=AQ~~%2cAAAAukPAlqE~%2coAVq1qtdRjy50BF2MoxbX8ZeW4dvR47I&bctid=2684464741001

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wanted to fly the F16 but because of my age I only flew the F100 and F102, both of which they made GF models of and shot down. But if either of these types were subjected to 9 g's they would not have anything to shoot down. Roger Moore
Charlie Jennings
Post Captain
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Jennings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roger --- Where did you fly F-100's ?
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie, I flew the Hun with the DC ANG in 1970, Roger
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the Wright Bros....

...engineers have been trying to bump the pilot from the pinacle of the aviation pyramid.

Technology has now made that possible. Although a "man" will long be aboard transport and cargo aircraft....the future is known.

Pilots are going the way of the River Boat Pilots, as described in LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI, who once reigned supreme in their profession.

I am so grateful for having lived an era when men sat at the controls and challenged one another to be the very best.

By the way, in Army basic training, back in 1969, we were taken out to White Sands Testing Range and watched the Army fire a Hawk missile at an F-86 drone....streaking by at 500 mph. No pilot on board. The missile destroyed the F-86 for the 1000th successful attempt.

I saw the future of unmanned flight. The future is here.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So instead of applying for an F-16 pilot position, we now apply for F-16 operators.

Isn't that what we are already doing with commercial a/c? The pilot just hasn't been removed yet.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sub.

It is a long way from replacing the pilots in commercial, passenger aircraft. And I can assure you that airline pilot training, with the major carriers, is as intense and challenging as ever. The emphasis is different with modern technology....but the training is still like trying to drink out of a firehose. Very bright men and women still engage every brain cell.

No doubt within a generation it is very likely that airliners may go go single pilot operations. No pilot up front is probably several decades away...although the technology to replace the pilots is not far from being perfected even now.

Human psychology long trails technology. Put my family on a pilotless airliner? Give me a while to get used to that idea.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article about a year ago in Flying. The person writing the article spoke about the flight school he had just completed.

The first red flag for me is when he discussed that the schools don't require you to fly turns around a point or other maneuvers. The thought was, if you're here at a flight school, you already know how to do it. This, to me, is the problem that is developing among new pilots today. I learned how using a C-172. Should I learn how to operate [not fly] a CRJ900 or a Learjet based on a C-172 years before?

In my opinion, pilots today are being taught how to manage an a/c. Are they really being taught how to fly an a/c? In todays hi-tech a/c, which do you spend more time doing....operating the FMC or flying the a/c?

I recently watched a youtube video. I watched a co-pilot in a UA 747-400. As he descended, he kept flipping the ALT button down to the next step. It made me wonder if he could actually fly the plane without the autopilot.

I wonder if todays pilots are actually becoming test pilots while the engineers work the bugs out.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many things we can argue about on this subject. I spent a good portion of my life teaching simulator, flying full aircraft checks and later on as a flight manager on several aircraft. How do you fly the airplane with "emphasis" on the auto-systems we had back then. Mainly what I was looking for was that the person knew what was going on in the auto function but never let the auto function run you. We had the best pilots in the world and I worked for 8 airlines so I have a pretty wide scope on people and how they fly. The best thing I found with TWA was that first, they taught you to fly the airplane and then moved you forward to the wonderful toys we had to play with. I never asked a pilot to lift off and turn on the a/p. That was his decision and I honored that because I too, am and will always be a pilot and a pilot knows how to feel his aircraft and control it. It kept us very safe for many years because we "did" know how to fly an airplane. Maybe redundant but very true. Guys, we were blessed with the best training aids, instructors, simulators and 890's that we almost couldn't fail. Our problem was no one knew how to run our wonderful airline. We gave our all and I would do it again in a heart beat because I truly believed in our product, our pilots and our training. I was fortunate to train Air Force One pilots once and was amazed at their skills and they were also amazed at out training methods.so we both learned. Gents, we were luck fellows and I thank God he gave me a chance in TWA, I sure tried and I don't think I disappointed many.
Glasspilot
Post Captain
Member # 390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glasspilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert, great post.

A couple of months ago we saw the consequence of loss of basic flying skills with the crash at SFO. Most of us just shake our heads at what happened on that approach in good weather????

As a 767 F/O, and later briefly as Captain (when AA came along and ruined everything), I enjoyed hand flying (including no auto-throttles) that great airplane down to a landing. It's obvious to me the crew of the SFO crash never or rarely did that.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory