Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » New Travel Policy

Author Topic: New Travel Policy
CPRIC
Post Captain
Member # 2756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPRIC   Email CPRIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would share the following information:

Subject: Update on Travel Privileges

Summary

We’ve already done a good amount of work to align our travel programs. Everyone has the same dress code, our policies on employees’ college-aged children’s travel sync up, and employee fares on myIDTravel are zeroed out. Today, we’re sharing what the non-rev travel program for American will look like going forward, and are working toward the best non-rev policy in the business.

Bear in mind that we’re implementing changes over time. Effective Saturday, Jan. 4, several adjustments will go into effect, including free, fee-waived Coach travel system-wide on both airlines, changes to pass travel for parents and registered companions and more. And on Jan. 7, employees will be eligible for a 20 percent discount on positive space tickets on both airlines.

Changes to boarding priority and other items are being announced today, but will not go into effect until later this year or in some cases, until we have a single Passenger Service System (PSS).

What’s Changing Now?

· Free Coach travel – Legacy American Airlines employees and eligible travelers traveling across the American network will now fly for free, with the fee waived in Coach on all International and Domestic flights with no service requirements, just like legacy US Airways employees do today. As announced in December, employees and eligible travelers will continue to have the fee waived for travel across the network on both legacy American Airlines and legacy US Airways flights using myIDTravel. (This excludes applicable government taxes and fees.)

· Unlimited travel for parents and your registered guest/companion – There is no limit on travel for parents and your registered guest/companion – a new privilege for legacy American Airlines employees. In addition, there are no longer fees in Coach for registered companions (excluding any applicable government taxes and fees).

· Buddy (D3) passes – Each year, all active employees will receive 16 one-way buddy (D3) passes and retirees will receive 8 one-way buddy (D3) passes. Until we are on a single reservation system, those passes can only be used on your legacy carrier.

· Retiree travel privileges – Eligibility requirements for lifetime non-revenue, space available retiree travel for employees and eligible family members will be based on a 65-point plan. To qualify, you must separate from employment on or after Dec. 9, 2013 with a minimum of 10 years of active service, and your age plus years of service must equal or exceed 65. This new retiree program eligibility only applies to the travel program.

· Minimum age for First Class travel – The minimum age for First Class travel is now 6 years old for all non-rev and pass travel.

What’s Changing Jan. 7?
· Discounts on positive space personal travel – Effective Jan. 7, employees, retirees, and eligible travelers can book confirmed tickets for personal travel on any flight operated by both legacy carriers and their affiliates at a 20 percent discount off most published fares.

What’s Changing Later this Year?
· Admirals Club/US Airways Club Access – This spring, employees will be able to purchase an annual Admirals Clubs pass, with reciprocal access to US Airways Clubs. Certain restrictions may apply (we’ll need to make sure employees aren’t in uniform in the clubs so that it’s not confusing to customers) and we’ll share full details soon.

· Boarding Priority – Sometime this summer, we’ll align our boarding priority process. At that time, boarding priority will be determined by time of check-in, and proceed as follows:
§ D1 (vacation passes)

§ D2 (employees and eligible travelers)

§ D2R (retirees, including TWA, and eligible travelers)

§ D2P (parents)

§ D3 (buddy passes)

§ AAC (active non-owned affiliate airline personnel)

§ ONE (oneworld personal travel)

§ D4 (OAL company business travel)

§ ZED (routine interline personal travel)

Until further notice, however, boarding priority will continue as outlined in the interim travel program.

· Eligible travelers including spouse/domestic partner, eligible children, and registered guests/companions are able to board at the employee’s or retiree’s boarding priority if traveling D2 or D2R, regardless of whether or not they’re traveling with the employee/retiree; parents travel at D2P if alone, and at the same priority as the employee/retiree if traveling together; buddy passengers will board as D3 priority regardless of whether or not they are flying with the employee.

· Fees for travel in premium cabins will also be aligned. We’ll share more details on these changes and exact timing in the coming months.

What’s Changing Once We Have a Single PSS?
· Eventually we’ll have a fully combined program and travel system for all employees to check flight loads, make flight listings, and check in for flights once we have a single Passenger Service System (PSS). For now, though, you will continue to use either Travel US (US Airways) or the Non-Rev Travel Planner (American) to book flights on your legacy carrier, and myIDTravel to book travel across the network if you’re booking a flight on your non-legacy carrier.

· Our combined system will also include harmonized vacation (D1) passes and buddy (D3) passes that can be used across our entire network. For now, vacation passes and guest passes can only be used on your legacy carrier.

· Active employees and eligible travelers will receive six D1 vacation priority passes per eligible traveler each year to use when they want across the network, and retirees and their eligible travelers will receive four D1 vacation

+
-

MultiQuote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPNAWAY

Posted Today, 05:47 PM

Veteran

Registered Member
PipPipPipPipPip
1684 posts

So for US Employees the changes are checkin time, milage based upgrade fees, guest pass traveling with employee not at the employees priority (that is a pretty big downgrade), Club access when

CPRIC
Post Captain
Member # 2756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPRIC   Email CPRIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I read it, NO MORE TWR. That is good news.
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news if it holds up. We will show what we can do as ex-TWA non-revs by showing up like we always have. Properly dressed and not dragging three bags, being on time and awaiting our names to be called. Makes a good impression on agents and other non-revs.Even now,agents can pick us out..This is a great chance to impact the industry (non rev that is) because agents are human too. Good news to be sure.
DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a huge step forward and gets us closer to the old 7R scenario...and ahead of all D3s. Thanks to all who wrote to USAir and AA.... it made a difference.

Alan Clammer
EX TWR!

CPRIC
Post Captain
Member # 2756

quote:
Originally posted by DRUMMER:
This is a huge step forward and gets us closer to the old 7R scenario...and ahead of all D3s. Thanks to all who wrote to USAir and AA.... it made a difference.

Alan Clammer
EX TWR!

It is basically the same as a 7R. The D1 is the same as the Class 6 vacation passes we had, D2 same as class 7 and D2R same as 7R. Anyway is great news for all former TWRs. And there is no service charges on coach.
757orBust
Post Captain
Member # 54

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 757orBust   Email 757orBust   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said earlier on this board, I know Elise Eberwein from when she was a flight attendant student of mine back in the Breech days. She is now Exec VP with the New AA and I thought certainly worth discussing the TWR situation with. I'm a retired AA since I retired later but have many good friends that suffered under the TWR rules that I feel like a fix was long overdue. Elise was unaware of the TWR situation and said she couldn't understand the reasoning behind it. She also said she would "look into it".

It certainly looks like she did!

I think her input was probably crucial in the changes!

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a part of the new AA/US travel policy. Our boarding priority is greatly improved, i.e. D2R. Finally, our annual lump of coal is replaced by a Christmas present of boarding fairness.

• Employees will board by check-in time.

• The boarding priority will be:

• D1 (vacation passes)
• D2 (employees and eligible travelers)
• D2R (all retirees, including TWA)
• D2P (parents)
• D3 (buddy passes)
• AAC (active non-owned affiliate airline personnel)
• ONE (oneworld® personal travel)
• D4 (OAL company business travel)
• ZED (routine interline personal travel)

• In all categories, travelers with connections will have higher boarding priority, designated by a “T” for “through” (D1T, D2T, etc.). This helps prevent people from getting stuck in our hubs. More details, including length of connection time, will be explained before the policy is implemented.

• “Eligible travelers,” including spouse/domestic partner/registered companion or eligible children, will fly at a D2 or D2R priority whether or not they are traveling with the employee or retiree.

• Parents will board at D2P unless they are traveling with the employee, in which case they will also board at D2 priority.

• Buddy passengers will board as D3 priority regardless of whether or not they are flying with the employee.

One caveat: This new boarding schedule will not be put into place until mid- 2014.

If we get similar good news about our term life policies we can indeed be grateful.

Happy New Year.

Paul

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess I jumped the gun. Depending on which site or source I checked, I thought we were D-2Rs as of Jan 14. Today I listed on JETNET for a flight on AA in March and can you imagine, it showed my category as still being the dreaded TWR. When will it end!

So I thought I'd exercise my new D-1 privileges but really didn't know how so I called Tel-AA-Flight. When I asked the agent, she cheerfully replied that I had come to the right place...can you guess what happened when I gave her my employee number. Someone wake me when it's over.

TWR Forever and Proud of It

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Irish Miss
Junior Poster
Member # 1300

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Irish Miss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere yesterday I read an updated Q&A dated Jan 17 that talks about WHEN we get rid of the TWR and become D2R's. I wish I could find it again and if I do I will post it here. It said that our status won't change til mid-year. They know we have been "waiting a long time" for this and appreciate our patience in waiting a while longer. Patience?? So I think that means we are now also behind all the USAir employees, their parents, kids, SO's and friends and family D3's.
What I found interesting was that I went to MyID travel to see about using USAir to go to a funeral later this week and there I am a R2. I guess we have to travel on them instead of AA until we become D2R's.

[ 01-19-2014, 03:28: Message edited by: Irish Miss ]

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathy,

Check the TARPA.com home page for the new travel info. The AMR letter of Jan 17th is there along with other info.

Bob

CPRIC
Post Captain
Member # 2756

quote:
Originally posted by CPRIC:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Nicklas:
Guess I jumped the gun. Depending on which site or source I checked, I thought we were D-2Rs as of Jan 14. Today I listed on JETNET for a flight on AA in March and can you imagine, it showed my category as still being the dreaded TWR. When will it end!

So I thought I'd exercise my new D-1 privileges but really didn't know how so I called Tel-AA-Flight. When I asked the agent, she cheerfully replied that I had come to the right place...can you guess what happened when I gave her my employee number. Someone wake me when it's over.

TWR Forever and Proud of It

This will not go in effect until sometime mid 2014. I would say June or July of this year.
Irish Miss
Junior Poster
Member # 1300

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Irish Miss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Willcutts:
Kathy,

Check the TARPA.com home page for the new travel info. The AMR letter of Jan 17th is there along with other info.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I guess we'll just have to wait. It will be nice when it happens.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory