Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Thanks, Mr. Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Author Topic: Thanks, Mr. Samuel Langhorne Clemens
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mr. Clemens for your wisdom. Your “Old Saying”:
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt”
is proving to be the correct and appreciated guidance to all of us as the search
continues for the cause of the recent most tragic air disaster.

signed, brother of a professional accident investigator

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get asked about that every time I go out in public, as I'm sure all of you do. My standard answer is, "I don't have a clue. We'll just have to wait and see what they find out." (If they ever do)
Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plane, crew, and passengers are enjoying themselves on a beautiful beach on some remote island. Vacation of a lifetime for most. Soon they will be found and the pilots will negotiate, with each respective country, the return of that country's passengers for a handsome ransom.

This will them become a new "Reality Show" for TV and will be produced and directed by the pilots and they will retire "Happily ever after".

Oh, the plane? It will be turned into one of the best restaurant/bars on the island's beach.

You would be surprised how many people ask me,
"Really, is that what you think" and I reply, "yes".

FWI

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the dark side of the planet Jupiter appears the stealth mother ship of a race thousands of years more advanced than ours. The hanger doors open and the 777 is carefully pulled into the ship. Jupertarians with massive cranial capacity, large index fingers and very small bodies go about studying the 777 and her passengers. They are amazed at the archaic craft and 239 strange creatures that travel in such a crude manner. With their curiosity satisfied the 777 and passengers are carefully landed at their original destination. The passengers and crew of MH370 have no recollection of their experience and the rest of us earthlings are left with an unsolved mystery. The Twilight Zone!!!! Hey, any more plausible theory so far???
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 10 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captains Bob & Dave....

After much thought, both of you might really be onto something here. We all know that Hollywood will probably soon have a movie on the big screen telling the “true story” as only they can. The writers and producers are probably already putting that thing together.

Matter of fact, a lot of those folks hang out at our local Encino Trader Joe’s market. Like me, they’re in there to have that free cup of morning coffee. On the next visit, an attempt will be made to contact one or two and gather the latest “stuff”. (They’re easy to spot.... either by the personalized car license plates or their younger and better looking than they deserve female partners, although once in a while, they can be mistaken for airline pilots.)

Having said this, we can probably expect an Oscar winning movie with “Best Story Idea” being awarded to each of you. Your humor and friendship are appreciated.

Best o’ luck,

Randy

[Big Grin]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave: you have been having too many pisco sours and ceviche and dreaming about Machu Pichu. Remember that there are the Nazca lines that look like runways, Who knows, they may have levitated the aircraft there. Maybe we ought to pull up Google Earth and search the area. Cheers
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen.

239 lives lost. Hundreds if not thousands of loved ones left to mourn.

How would we have felt knowing that a bunch of old airline pilots were making up funny stories and laughing about "what really happened to TWA 800"?

Bob [Frown]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob

Are you kidding me????? I can't speak for anybody else but I'm not laughing at the fate of those folks. It's the total mystery of the disappearance of MH370 that has me captivated. My post was my way of saying that I just can't see how this aviation event could have ever happened the way that it did. At this moment there is just no explanation. For all we know that plane, crew and passengers could be anywhere. Sorry but that's the way I see it.

[ 04-02-2014, 20:26: Message edited by: dave carr ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

The captain was a political opponent of the existing government in Malaysia. His dear friend, also a political opponent, had just been sentenced to prison for sodomy. The captain was photographed in a T-shirt saying....."Democracy is dead".

So I propose this purely hypothetical thought: In the dead zone between Malaysian airspace and Viet Nam the captain sent his copilot into the cabin on some ruse.

Next he locked the cockpit door from the inside, making it inpregnable....then donned his pressure oxygen mask. The captain rapidly depressurized the aircraft, while remaining at 35,000 ft. Within minutes all except the captain, are dead ....including his copilot. We all know that the cabin oxygen masks are useless if the cabin pressure remains at a very high altitude.

After a few minutes to be certain that everyone in the cabin is dead...the perpetrator repressurized the aircraft and removes his pressure oxygen mask.

Then he disables the ACARS and Transponder: makes some turns and dives to a lower altitude to make it look like an emergency.

After the deviations he then sets a course to nowhere in the Indian Ocean...knowing full well the nature of that part of the sea.

He then either climbs back to cruise or remains at a low altitude on his flight to oblivion.

Near the point of fuel exhaustion he says his final prayers to his god and either dives the 777 into the ocean or allows it to fall from the sky after running out of fuel.

If he is a coward he ends his own life, prior to the crash, by remaining at altitude and bringing up the cabin pressure slowly so that he too becomes unconscious prior to impact. If he is brave...he remains conscious and makes sure the impact is at 500+ kts.

Mission accomplished. One more passenger flight destroyed...as in Egypt Air and Silk Air.

Motive? To bring unbearable suffering to the government he so despises and perhaps even the downfall of the Prime Minister...his political enemy. Punish those who punished his political friend.

He knows how isolated the south Indian Ocean is. Having made his flight nearly invisible...there is little chance that the truth will be known or that the aircraft will be found. He knows that the government of Malaysia will come under constant criticism, as we have already seen. The torment may go on for months or years. The government may fall.

Just another theory like everyone else. But it offers an explanation for what little bit we know about the aircraft's behavior. And.... it beats the heck out of the humorous tales suggested here, while respecting the dignity of those innocents who have died.

Of course if the motivation is to create the script for a science fiction movie...then forget my thoughts and call those Hollywood guys down at Trader Joe's, with one of the other "humorous" ideas proposed here.

And Dave....No, I wasn't kidding about the comparison to our personal loss of TWA 800. There is no humor in the loss of one human being....let alone hundreds.

Bob

[ 04-03-2014, 09:44: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Bob

Pure speculation and very far fetched. Who knows!!

As to the rest of your remarks, I'll just choose to disagree. My post was meant to show my incredulity at the mystery of MH 370. If you interpret my comments as me disrespecting the loss of life as the result of TWA 800 I'll tell you that you're totally mistaken.

Dave Carr

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen: Lets get one thing straight here, we are guests on this forum, and as such, behave .
We post many things that are funny and serious but we should never take anyone or thing lightly. To Bob, you mention TWA 800, I am a supporter of the shrine, I lost many friends there so I might ask, do you support that cause? I make fun with Captain Carr in trying to ease the pain we feel for what is the lost airplane. Your bizarre play out is out of line. A pilot kills all the people for his supposed cause?
As aged and experienced aviators, yes, we have thoughts and I for one, never, never like any airplane crashes. We lived that wonderful feeling of doing, and completing our tasks and enjoyed every minute. Yes, glory and ego, that is what makes a great pilot a pilot. I spent many years teaching and checking and found out that if you kill the ego and pride, you kill a good pilot.
Let us not try to be the judges as some day, we too shall be judged.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:
Bob

Pure speculation and very far fetched. Who knows!!

As to the rest of your remarks, I'll just choose to disagree. My post was meant to show my incredulity at the mystery of MH 370. If you interpret my comments as me disrespecting the loss of life as the result of TWA 800 I'll tell you that you're totally mistaken.

Dave Carr

Dave,

I took your remarks and those of others as "disrespecting the loss of life as a result of MH 370." My reference to TWA 800 was intended to make you and others think of how we would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

I have great respect for you and the other posters on this subject. I was surprised at the insensitivity.

That is all that I have to say.

God's blessings to our fellow man.

Bob [Frown]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

CA Dedman,

I was booked on Flt. 800. Scheduled to meet my 15 year old daughter in Paris and bring her home to STL the next day.

My life was saved when my daughter called the day before and asked it she could remain in Switzerland, with our friends, for another week. After the tragic loss we were so frightened that I bought her a full fare ticket on AA out of Zurich the following week.

Like you most of us lost friends on 800, including a student 747 FE... the son of a friend... a former Ozark/TWA/AA pilot.

As Ernie said....FATE IS THE HUNTER.

God bless the loved ones of those who died on MH370 as we know...the pain never heals.

Bob

[ 04-03-2014, 18:19: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Dedman:
[qb] Gentlemen: Lets get one thing straight here, we are guests on this forum, and as such, behave .

SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU STARTED OUT GIVING SOME PRETTY GOOD ADVISE AND THEN CHOSE TO IGNORE IT.

I REALLY DON'T SEE HOW IT IS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS WHETHER RITCHIE DONATES TO THE 800 MEMORIAL OR NOT. PLEASE BEHAVE.

[ 04-06-2014, 15:43: Message edited by: Dick Nicklas ]

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this topic was started by me, it is only appropriate to assume some responsibility for the comments received.

One of our members has voiced concern about the insensitivity of the words and posts of others, and then proceeds to offer his purely hypothetical thought about what happened to flight 370. ....It is not necessary to quote or repeat his theory. Everyone following this topic has already read and is familiar with the content.

My question and concern is: Without any proof whatsoever, where is the great “sensitivity” for the three children of the Captain??

It would appear that some of us believe in a double standard.

Just a passing thought while we await the TRUTH.

Randy

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Author

Topic: Pilot Talk

extwacaptain

Prop Wash
Member # 381

posted 08-03-2013 09:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following are some of the terms overheard while being around pilots over the years:

"Out of the loop"

"Doesn't have the big picture"

"Not up to speed"

As a young fly-boy, these words always brought a big smile as long as they did not appear on my report card.

However, checking the calendar, thirty years have now gone by since my last month of flying for TWA. Therefore: May all who read this message board be aware that I now consider myself fully qualified for each of the above "ratings".

With this in mind, in the future, greater effort will be made reading rather than writing on this board.

"Of all the birds that fly, the parrot talks the best and flies the poorest" (origin unknown)My favorite)

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ritchie:
Author

Topic: Pilot Talk

extwacaptain

Prop Wash
Member # 381

posted 08-03-2013 09:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following are some of the terms overheard while being around pilots over the years:

"Out of the loop"

"Doesn't have the big picture"

"Not up to speed"

As a young fly-boy, these words always brought a big smile as long as they did not appear on my report card.

However, checking the calendar, thirty years have now gone by since my last month of flying for TWA. Therefore: May all who read this message board be aware that I now consider myself fully qualified for each of the above "ratings".

With this in mind, in the future, greater effort will be made reading rather than writing on this board.

"Of all the birds that fly, the parrot talks the best and flies the poorest" (origin unknown)My favorite)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Wink]

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

So the plot thickens. Pings and no pings. Pings separated by hundreds of miles. Pings that may be from MH370 and then again may not.

Small debris spotted in various places by satellite but nothing spotted from the wreckage of a massive aircraft that must have left something floating in the ocean. There are more and more unsubstantiated theories offered, even one by Bob Ritchie.

This is turning into a Bermuda Triangle mystery. There is just no plausible rhyme nor reason that can at this time explain the disappearance of MH370. The plane may be at some undisclosed location and the passengers still alive. Impossible??? Probably, but until such time that the loss of the aircraft and passengers can be confirmed and a cause determined, anything is possible. Yes Bob, even Jupertarians.

Bob--as an aside, can I ask your reason for posting remarks by Captain Kramer from back in August of 83? Maybe I'm a little dense. The relevance in this conversation eludes me.

Dave Carr

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Positive rate: gear up. Clear of obstacles....32 inches, 2050 rpm. Cruise climb. Easy on the old girl. Seven hours of flight ahead at 3,000 ft. CAVU.

Airshow in the C-47/DC-3 this weekend. Yippie!!

See you guys later.

Bob(the dinosaur)

P.S. Dave. It was 2013.

[ 04-10-2014, 13:58: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Bob

Yea, I read that over at least five times before posting and still somehow didn't see that I had typed 83. Getting old is not for the feint of heart.

Blue skies!!!!!

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Captain Dave,

Well, Sir, after reading that post of mine from several months ago, (over and over again) whatever relevance there could be to the topic at hand completely escapes me.

There's a lady in Washington who might have said: "What Difference does it make?"

And now that the subject has been changed to "Flying a DC-3 to an airshow', we may never know the answer.

P.S. You have a PM

signed: an old iron-ass ex-check pilot
[Wink]

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
There's a lady in Washington who might have said: "What Difference does it make?"

I don't know who that lady was, but if I did I'd throw a shoe at her!
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
And now that the subject has been changed to "Flying a DC-3 to an airshow', we may never know the answer.

Ignorance is bliss!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory