Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TARPA Board Minutes

Author Topic: TARPA Board Minutes
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TARPA BOARD MEETING
April 21, 2014
Conference Call

Conferees:
President: Bill KirschnerTreasurer: Ed Madigan
First V.P.: Dusty WestSenior Director: Charlie Wilder
Second V.P./Secretary: Mike McFarlandHospitality Director: Bob Dedman
Past president: Guy FortierWeb Master: Bob Willcutts
Event Coordinator: Vicki McGowen

Quorum was established at 1000PDT.

Presidents Report:

Captain Bill Kirschner

Over 900 post cards promoting our convention were mailed at a cost of $600.00 as opposed to more than $7,000.00 for a TOPICS edition. Thank you Ed, Vicki and Cathy Gillespie, our Graphic Artist. Another mailing is planned in July. This promotion when combined with the June TOPICS is expected to increase the number of convention attendees.

I obtained proof of the money transfer from TWA to American (originally $509 million increasing to $565 million during TWA’s bankruptcy proceedings) and forwarded it to TWA Seniors Club President, Fran Danio. She, in turn, will forward it to AA’s CEO Doug Parker per his request. Now, everyone, including CEO Doug Parker and Judge Lane, knows of TWA’s transfer of funds to American so as to provide for life and health insurance for TWA retirees.

Judge Lanes most recent decision regarding our life and health insurance appears to have found in our favor. For more information, go to http://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions/230185_76_opinion.pdf Pay particular attention to pages 7 and 8 regarding TWA.

TOPICS update: Ed and I met with Cathy Gillespie, our Graphic Artist on April 15th. She is currently compiling the June issue. We hope to have it to the printer by mid-May or earlier and in the mail the last week of May. I received an e-mail from Roger Martin, our printer, and he is all set to go as well.

First V.P. Report:

Captain Dusty West

I personally want to thank:
Captain Ed Madigan (Treasurer) for all his years of diligent and faithful work keeping TARPA financially sound, in good running order, neat and clean reports explaining all our budgets, revenues and expenses. Well done Ed!!
Captain Bill Kirschner (President) for years of tireless service to all of us in TARPA. As president he has done a wonderful job during these trying times and a declining membership base. Bill has always stepped up to take command when needed. Most recently he assumed the duties of TARPA TOPICS magazine editor after Captain Jeff Hill sr. retired from that position. We all appreciate his “labor of love” in accepting this time consuming extra duty. Again well done Bill!
Vicki McGowan (Event Coordinator) has been orchestrating our TARPA conventions since I became a member. She has saved us countless hours of work and thousands of dollars. Her expertise, professional skills, and her ability to adjust to many different and sometimes difficult personalities with a smooth and pleasant attitude toward all concerned is a God Send.
Past Presidents and Officers. I salute you for the many hours of volunteer time and effort. I think I speak for all when I say you have made TARPA the wonderful organization that it is today. Thank you one and all!
As first V.P., I have always been concerned about our long term survivability as the TWA pilot group. Over the years we have talked about different ways our TWA group (s) might continue as a stand alone or in conjunction with other employee groups. Now that “The New American Airlines” is finalizing, I have confidence we, together, will figure out a suitable way to thrive! We all share many of the same beliefs and interests which combined with our aviation history will continue to provide for many good times to be shared by all of us well into the future. This is my hope.

Second V.P./Secretary:

Mike McFarland

All I can say when following Dusty’s report is that I totally agree.

Treasurer’s Report:

Captain Ed Madigan

We all owe a big thanks to our President, Bill Kirschner, for the time and effort he has put forth into publishing the upcoming issue of TARPA TOPICS. He also made great strides with other ASSN. challenges on behalf of all the members of TARPA.

Currently we have 510 members who have paid their 2014 dues. I expect we will pick up about 200 more after we send additional e-mails etc.

We are currently in a very good financial position with $88,894.81 in our Wells Fargo Bank and CACU accounts. We will save a considerable amount of money by holding our convention in Reno this year. Bill, Vicki and I have been able to setup all venues locally with little cost to the membership.

I have set up a system where we can swipe credit cards at the convention if any member chooses to add a venue. This amount will be directly deposited into our convention checking account. The fee is 2.75% if the card is swiped or 3.75% plus $.15 if we enter the card number manually. I thought this would be useful at the convention and that we should waive the fee to see if this is something the members will use. With the Board’s approval we will add an option on the registration form to pay for the full convention by credit card. We should charge a 4% service fee to cover costs.

Senior Director’s Report:

Captain Charlie Wilder

To maintain our beautiful TWA flight 800 Memorial, additional funds continue to be needed. If you recall, the local county officials promised to maintain the facility if it could be built. After they attended and praised the memorial when it was officially opened, their funding was withdrawn.

President John Seaman, representing the 501©3 organization, was able to get limited funding restored for a few years, but the only remaining support has been to provide the electricity for the lights. A drive to raise funding for perpetual support brought in a considerable amount of money but was far short of the amount necessary to maintain the memorial indefinitely.

We should continue to request funds from our members to remember the loss of so many of our friends and fellow TWA employees who died in that tragedy. I would like to see our organization donate annually to the fund as long as we can do so within our financial capability.

Therefore, I propose that we send $500.00 annually as long as possible. Individual donations can be sent to:The Families of TWA Flight 800 Association
P.O. Box 1061
Clifton Park, NY 12065

It appears that our webmaster, Captain Bob Willcutts, has assumed the responsibility of maintaining the Flown West records along with Captain Bob Sherman’s records of all of TWA’s cockpit crew members. I would like to thank him for taking up these tasks.

Hospitality Director’s Report:

Captain Bob Dedman

Bob provided the board with a summary of the meeting he attended representing TARPA in Williamsburg. The original meeting was to be chaired by Mr. McDonald but at the last hour, CEO of AA, Mr. Doug Parker showed up. The meeting brought together all walks of life in the airline business with the main topic being the inequality in the pass system. Bob addressed Mr. Parker and told of the very successful system that TWA had during its life. He mentioned that when TWA was taken over by AA, the TWA group were tacked on the end of the pass class list. Mr. Parker agreed that was very wrong and that steps had already been taken to give TWA people the same class of passes that AA employees have. The entire 21/2 hour question and answer period was videotaped and available on Jetnet using your AA number and your current password. Bob also discussed the coming convention in Reno and hopes that many can come out. He will be running the hospitality room again.

Web Master Report:

Captain Bob Willcutts

The site is continuously updated as much as is feasible. Some pages remain stagnant due to the nature of their content. Other pages are updated as information becomes available for publishing.

The 2014 TARPA Convention info has been up for almost a month now and will be updated as necessary when the info is provided to the webmaster, Bob Willcutts.

The DIRECTORY is updated with the Flown West information as it becomes verified from two separate sources. Please remember that the DIRECTORY contains only TARPA members as the 2001 Database build date. If you are looking for a pilot who was not a member at that time, then he will not be in the DIRECTORY. Also note, the Directory information is edited by the member through his PROFILE changes. I make changes ONLY when requested by member.

When a member flies WEST, Mercer sends us a DN (Death Notice). John Bybee verifies the info with his master list and sends the DN to me (as Webmaster). I also receive the DN and after receiving verification from John Bybee, I will edit the DIRECTORY with the appropriate changes. As a practice, I will “keep” the widow listed by default and the members name will show up in the widow’s name and the decedent will be listed as the “spouse”.

The website continues to be a valuable source of information for our members and we are getting a sufficient number of “views” to warrant maintaining it. The MESSAGE BOARD is read and is a great way to communicate with other members on just about any subject. Capt. Paul Wood continues to provide obituaries as they come in. He is to be commended for doing so.

I have just updated my software to more secure and more extensive programs. I will be attempting to learn more about these new editions as time permits. For the most part, I try to keep it simple and that makes the site easier to maintain. I think most of us are inundated with all the flashy websites and sites that pop up ads or open another page if you happen to drag your mouse over a highlighted word. Very annoying in my humble opinion.

FLOWN WEST

The Flown West Coordinator duties have been passed on to me from Capt. John Gratz. I place the deceased name and info into the FLOWN WEST page of the website which honors TARPA members only. I also place the name into the IN MEMORIAM page which contains ALL deceased TWA PILOTS from our Master List which has been maintained by Bob Sherman for years. I also have assumed that responsibility.

INFORMATION FORMAT

Many of you supply me with material to be published and it comes to me in a variety of formats. We all have different software programs and some become incompatible over time. I can handle just about any file format. The best formats to send info to me are: HTML, PDF, DOC, XLS, and TXT of course. I can do most conversions although not all are perfect.

If you wish to supply me with just the material, photos, text, etc. I will be more than happy to format the content to your liking. Publishing to the website is somewhat more complicated in that it must conform to many of several web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc. Any given format may show up differently in each of the programs.

Thank you for the opportunity to conference with you. Any questions?

Event Coordinator Report:

Vicki McGowen

Vicki announced that in an effort to provide advanced promotion for the Reno Convention a “Save the Date” e-blast was sent on January 28, 2014. In addition the “Reserve Now” e-blast was sent to 913 members on March 25th; 91 bounced, 41% were opened (377 opens) and 445 did not open the e-mail. Captain Kirschner recommended we send a postcard via mail to encourage greater participation. The photography and copy were provided by Vicki to our graphic artist “Catzeye Graphics”. Cathy, of Catzeye, produced a very professional mailer and it was sent on April 2nd. We are beginning to see the response to our promotional efforts now.

Vicki then summarized the activities for Reno confirming the scheduled activities. She reminded Bob Dedman he would be responsible for staffing the Hospitality Suite and Dusty West would be responsible for staffing the Registration Desk. She reminded both that they should review the scheduled hours for each activity to make sure they agreed with the proposed times.

The Welcome Gift for the 2014 convention was discussed. After some discussion, Vicki recommended we consider a key fob with the TWA Captain’s Wings to be produced by Symbol Arts (the same company that produced our 2013 medallions). The Board agreed that sounded like a great idea. Vicki will follow up with design and pricing.

The 2015 Bermuda Cruise was presented. This will be a joint venture with the American Airline Grey Eagles and potentially the US Air Soaring Eagles. This 7 night cruise will depart Cape Liberty (Newark, NJ) on Sunday, August 23, 2015 and will return on Sunday, August 30th. Vicki summarized the pricing and announced there will be a pre-cruise hotel in Newark. While cruising TARPA will have their own Board of Directors meeting and General Membership Meeting and will have designated TARPA tables in the dining room. The social activities (cocktail parties, hospitality room, etc.) will be a joint venture with the Grey Eagles.

Bob Dedman asked if Vicki would be making the hotel reservations for the BOD in Reno. She requested that everyone submit a hotel reservation form with their Convention Registration Form and send to Ed Madigan. She encouraged everyone to do this sooner than later so we could begin to build the “Attendee List” for the website.

Old Business: None

New Business: None

Charlie Wilder made a motion to contribute $500.00 to the Flight 800 Memorial fund.
Second: Bob Dedman
Motion passed unanimously.

Guy Fortier made a motion to adjourn.
Second: Mike McFarland
Motion passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 1135PDT

Respectfully submitted,

Mike McFarland

[ 04-29-2014, 10:25: Message edited by: smilinjack ]

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link for the Judge Lane Ruling referred to in the first paragraph of the minutes should read as follows:

http://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/opinions/230185_76_opinion.pdf

Bob

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory