Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » non rev travel

Author Topic: non rev travel
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was informed by a TSA supervisor that airline employees and retirees can be included in the pre check program without having to pay the $85 fee. Any body know anything about this?

Dave Carr

XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:
I was informed by a TSA supervisor that airline employees and retirees can be included in the pre check program without having to pay the $85 fee. Any body know anything about this?

Dave Carr

Aloha Dave,

I am not sure how it happened but since about 6 months ago we are "pre-checked" and can go through the "pre-checked" line. No shoe removal, belts etc and we whiz right through. I believe it is stamped on our BP so TSA just waves us on.

This was on AA only as last time I returned to HNL on HA I was not pre-checked.

I "assumed" AA had cleared us somehow.

Hope this helps a bit,

Regards, Benay

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been a mystery to me. During the last half of 2013 we were pre checked on both AA and Delta--we have passes on Delta. Wow, this was great. Then this year we are no longer pre checked. Was told that the pre check we experienced last year was random. Maybe it was a teaser to get us to jump through all the various hoops and cough up the $85 to get the pre check status.

Dave Carr

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the course of 5 or 6 trips taken over the last 12 months, all on ZEDs, my wife and I have been "pre-cleared" better than half the time while travelling on SW, USAIR and Jet Blue.

I asked a TSA three-striper why this happened and she said it was all random selection. That may or may not be true but I really don't care.

Since I reached the magic age where I no longer have to take off my shoes or my belt, that portion of my life at least is certainly more pleasant.

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Nicklas:

Since I reached the magic age where I no longer have to take off my shoes or my belt, that portion of my life at least is certainly more pleasant.

-------------------------------------------------

Normally someone’s age does not arouse my curiosity, however this dancing thru airport security still wearing both belt and and shoes has done just that.

Some years ago (maybe 12 or 13), while in a security line at terminal 4 (American Air Lines) here in LA, a loud voice was heard “TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES”. Observing the TSA agent was not looking at me, no action was taken....Again the command was given. This time in a still louder voice, from the rather buxom, female TSA agent. “TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES”

Realizing that I was possibly/probably dealing with an ex-marine drill sergeant and completely aware that any attempt on my part to stand on one leg and attempt to maintain balance while removing one shoe and then the other could only result in embarassing and complete failure. Several thoughts passed rapidly thru my mind.....First, you’re gonna get one foot up and grab a shoe and immediately go into a slow speed, 3/4 turn spin landing on your rear-end if you’re lucky. If your luck is bad, maybe land on your old head. Maybe both.

Anyway, the fact that I was there in uniform, with TWA security ID badge and on company business, (which could wait until another day) convinced me that passing thru security on “her rules” was not really that important......The nice TSA agent may have heard for the first time the words: ”Give my stuff back and let me out of here”.

Later that day a discussion took place with the agent’s supervisor and there was never another problem.

What is the new magic age? 77 or 78 didn't cut it back then.

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two articles that may or may not be current:

TSA Eases Security Procedures for Seniors

March 15, 2012 9:08 am by Caroline Costello

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is rolling out more lenient security procedures for travelers ages 75 and older. Yesterday, the TSA announced that it will try a "more intelligence-driven security system" at four U.S. airports, allowing older flyers to have an easier and possibly less stressful experience in the security line.

Starting March 19, senior passengers at select U.S. airports—Chicago, Denver, Orlando, and Portland, Oregon—may experience a modified screening procedure. This means that the TSA may not require the removal of shoes and jackets. Additionally, older flyers may get to go through body scanners a second time when anomalies are detected; this could reduce the frequency of pat downs for the elderly. (Note: I believe this is now all airports.)

...and from the Official TSA website:

Notification of TSA Prescreen™ Eligibility

How do you know if you are selected for TSA Prescreen™?

Passengers traveling on one of the 10 TSA Prescreen™ participating airlines (Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Virgin America) will(may?)see a TSA Prescreen™ indicator on their boarding pass.

Passengers should look for either “TSA Prescreen™,” “TSA PRE” or “TSA PRECHK” on their boarding passes for notification of eligibility.

If TSA Prescreen™ is available at the airport they are traveling from; passengers should go directly to the TSA Prescreen™ lane. If TSA Prescreen™ is unavailable at the airport, passengers should proceed to the standard security lane.

[ 05-04-2014, 18:25: Message edited by: Dick Nicklas ]

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prescreened shows up on your boarding pass. When it works it is really nice. At some airports I can walk though fully dressed, full pockets, taking nothing out of my suit case. In other instances I've recieved no benefit other than not having to remove my shoes.

I didn't even know that I had been prescreen selected until traveling a few months ago. When I asked the TSA they answered that "your airline selected you."

Really nice when it works. But as in all things with the TSA each airport is allowed to make it's own rules.

My AA retiree I.D. really comes in handy also. It allows me into all AA operation areas except the ramp. On more than one occassion the TSA agent has allowed me to go though the employee line, based on the I.D. even though I have informed them that I was a retiree.

Happy travels,

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
shadow11
Post Captain
Member # 365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow11   Email shadow11   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

My wife and I have been traveling a lot recently on US Air, SWA, AND AA and every time we have had pre check on our boarding pass. My thoughts only because my wife and I think that if you are non rev, been pre check in the past and have no problems , you will continue to be pre check.

Miss you all

Tom Watson

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

I thought the same as for a couple months we were always pre checked as non revs both on Delta and AA. Then all of a sudden the pre checks disappeared. I'm trying to find a way to get them reinstated without having to go through all the govt. red tape and the $85 charge. Maybe it won't happen!

Dave Carr

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:
I thought the same as for a couple months we were always pre checked as non revs both on Delta and AA. Then all of a sudden the pre checks disappeared. I'm trying to find a way to get them reinstated without having to go through all the govt. red tape and the $85 charge. Maybe it won't happen!

Dave Carr

Well Dave....

....the Spooks must have finally caught up with you! [Wink]

Blue Skies,

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This subject deserves an attempt at a poem:

There once was a group of old flyers
Who enjoyed world travel by air.
But the TSA people
In a manner most gleeful
Harassed them and got in their hair.

(Not applicable to Your Humble pseudo-poet, both because of his cranial configuration and the fact that he's not set foot in an airplane since 1996)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory