Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » The Golden Years of Aviation

Author Topic: The Golden Years of Aviation
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“The Golden Years Of Aviation”

We’ve all heard this term used quite frequently......
So when exactly did those “Golden Years of Aviation” actually occur? Many past comments on the board, over the years, would appear to indicate that some of our pilots are of the belief that we “missed out on the best part”.

The Golden Age Of Aviation was considered (by some experts) to have begun with Charles Lindberg’s Atlantic flight in June, 1927 and ended when Howard Hughes flew his Spruce Goose in November, 1947. Based on this, assuming a pilot hired on at age twenty and enjoyed those entire 20 (twenty of the airlines “Golden Years”) he would now be one hundred and seven years old. (Just how many years would any one of us give up for that pleasure?)

And, Yes, my career did include a couple of years on the tail-end of those “Golden” years, during which there were two furloughs.

I suspect some of those older fellas watched us in their later years with envy as we enjoyed what they (and I) would call “The Platinum Years Of Aviation”.

Thanks, TWA

Randy Kramer

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory