Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Layovers

Author Topic: Layovers
Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to tell folks that the reason I hired on with the airlines was to protect the layovers. That is not exactly correct as I always enjoyed getting there and back. One of my favorite layovers was Paris. I flew there many times with great people and great memories. Some of my favorites were: Van Wormer and his "forced march", John Zaske, Larry Ashcraft, Jack Irwin, Roger Moore, Bob Hollingsworth, and many many others.
What was your favorite layover? Tell us about it.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MADRID. SINCE i GREW UP, TILL HIGH SCHOOL AGE, IN PERU, I AM FLUENT IN SPANISH SO WHEN I WOULD GO THERE, I'D GO TO PLACED THAT MOST TOURISTS WOULD NOT.
I TOOK THE CREWS TO FLEA MARKETS AND OFF BEAT GOOD RESTAURANTS. CAPTAIN ADAIR MILLER WAS ONE I FLEW WITH OFTEN BUT I HAD SO MANY GREAT CAPTAINS AND CREWS, IT WOULD TAKE PAGES TO LIST THEM ALL.
FOR OUR 45TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY, MY WIFE AND I WENT BACK FOR A VISIT BUT IT HAS CHANGED A LOT. WE ALSO VACATIONED IN SPAIN FROM NORTH TO SOUTH AND EAST TO WEST AND VISITED ALMOST ALL THE PARADORES (REBUILT MONESTERYS AND/OR CASTLES)AND EVEN BOUGHT SOME LAND IN MARBELLA HOPING TO RETIRE THERE. ICAHN CHANGED THAT SO WE SOLD IT.
ONE OF OUR FAVORITE PLACES TO EAT WAS "LOS GALAYOS" IN THE PLAZA MAJOR. BEST GAMBAS AND SUCKLING PIG. ESTEBAN GONZALES WAS THE OWNER AND WE BECAME CLOSE FRIENDS WITH THE FAMILY AND WHEN HE WAS VOTED CHEF OF THE YEAR, ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS THE JUAN CARLOS INAUGURATION, HE POSTED HIS PICTURE ALONG SIDE THE KING AND QUEEN AND ON THE OTHER SIDE WAS OUR PICTURE WITH THE SAYING, "MY FAVORITE AMERICAN FRIENDS". WE WERE FAMOUS WITHOUT KNOWING IT.

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my favorite would be a toss up between Maui and London Gatwick. Maui had great beaches and Gatwick had "Badgers Watch". Oh yea I forgot my first layover with TWA at Deseys in DAY but that one would be at the bottom along with the top hat in ICT.
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had many great layovers. My favorite was always Paris. Great places to run, walking always an adventure, the language fascinating, the food excellent and the churches/museums wonderful.

Like Captain Dedman I also loved Spain My mother in law is from Spain and lived there through the Spanish Civil War. She still lives here in Peru and will be 103 in August. I also lived for years in Peru and speak Spanish so how could I not have a great time in a Spanish speaking country. By the way, Bob, I'm writing this from Miraflores, Lima, Peru. It's the 28 de julio. Mean anything to you?

Finally I had the layover of all layovers when as Captain on the 747 I was assigned a trip to ATH with a 6 day layover. My F/O was Butch Gorman. Think that wasn't a blast???

Dave Carr

[ 07-28-2014, 14:11: Message edited by: dave carr ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having spent 15 years at OZA and chosing to fly domestic throughout my career at TWA and AA....my layovers could never be so glamourous. Yet I doubt that any airline crews had more fun than the five OZA crews that overnighted together in Sioux Falls S. Dakota every night. The thrills and chills will not be told here....but when old OZA crews gather even now....the smiles and nods of FSD rememberances fill our conversations.

My personal favorite layover memory involves my sweetheart and love of my life....my wife.

Back in 1981, when our love was new, Diane and I were flying together all month, every month. The PATCO stike occurred and wrecked the schedule of every domestic airline. As a result OZA rescheduled our short LGA layover to a 46 hour layover in downtown Manhattan.

Our layover was in some fabulous hotel, filled with international and domestic crews. The name escapes me now...but I recall that it was quite prominent. After settling into our luxurious surroundings Di and I proceeded to enjoy NYC as only NYC can be enjoyed.

We had dinner at Sardi's, saw WOMAN OF THE YEAR on Broadway, took a carriage ride through the park, had wonderful deli lunches: scary NYC taxi rides, Irish brew across the steet, the chatter of a dozen languages, shopping and sightseeing for hours on end.

Lots of romance and love in a city that inspires such. As though new lovers need inspiration.

33+ years later we are still very much in love.....with fond memories of 76 years of layover adventures.

OZA/TWA/AA....THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

[ 07-30-2014, 08:57: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Dave..Independence day when the country goes wild. Many, many fond memories there. I too, like Paris but there again, what is there NOT to like in Paris or Rome. We were very lucky people to have a company that put us up in the best! Thanks TWA. [Smile]
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see now: glamorous/fun layovers? What's in the old log book?
Hmmmmm. Rome (New York. No a/c in the motel) K.I. Sawyer AFB ('O' Club closed on Monday nights; dined from the vending machine). Valdosta, GA.(Didn't know a stag bar could hold that many married women) Cold Lake, Alberta (very cold), Goose Bay (french fries served smothered in gravy) Altus AFB (wx divert, plane parked downwind from local stockyard), Wadi Abu Shihat, Egypt (drank the local water, didn't die)

Never mind.

To find Wadi Abu Shihat, go to Google Maps and enter in the search box: 26.554779,33.12327

DAY and ICT: much nicer, trust me.

[ 07-30-2014, 06:51: Message edited by: PITbeast ]

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of Cairo. Brushed my teeth with tap water at the Hilton.
Almost died!

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A year or two after WWII, (1946 or '47) TWA had crew domiciles in both Roma and Cairo. Having a somewhat limited ability to speak Italian and no skill what-so-ever to comprehend the language spoken in Egypt, the choice was not difficult. In fact, prior to decision making time, a few flights to Cairo, swatting flies as they engaged in combat for the mashed potatoes, (ever notice how flies look a lot like raisins?) and ducking as the birds made passes thru the Heliopolis Palace Hotel open-air dining area were convincing arguments for preferring Roma.

As to the quality of the Cairo drinking water, I really do not remember. There was a Captain who thought the water was out of this world. A young/mid age, mid-seniority, not too friendly with his crew, gentleman who had been smitten by the “love bug” for one of the French F/A’s. He was somewhat entertaining (boring) as he displayed his diving for coins skills and attempting to impress his new-found love at the Heliopolis Hotel pool. Samuel Taylor Coleridge nailed it....”Not A Drop To Drink”.

Back to topic.......It wasn’t easy to leave Roma to fly to Paris. How easily we became spoiled.

Speaking of which, Captain Dedman, it was my great pleasure to also have flown with Captain Adair Miller on many, many flights out of Boston on the 3’s and Martins. Was it enjoyable? Well, my oldest son’s middle name just happens to be Adair.

Anybody ever layover in McKeesport, Pa?...Now, that was Class. (PITbeast)

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Yes Captain Randy; we became good friends with the Millers and visited them in Glouster Mass. several times. Wonderful family and we would sail, travel, eat but the nice part he always had was the "ice cracking hour" where we imbibed adult beverages and told stories. He asked me about my adventures as much as I ask about his. Great family and I tried to send Judith Topics but there was no address so I assume she too passed away. Wonderful memories of a great friend and we both loved TWA.
Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All layovers were great when TWA let us sign for food.

Best layover, "RAMA Hilton", Bangkok, Thailand !!!!

Best trip,"7 days in Kadena, Okinawa" with a quick out and back to Danang, South Viet Nam.

Hotel Tivoli in Lisbon, Portugal.

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Layover in McKeesport? Didn't need to. We lived 40 miles or so away in Aliquippa. But my first flight ever was out of Allegheny County Airport (across the river from McKeesport). One Saturday, Dad got passes and took Mom and me to MDW for lunch. We flew one way on a DC-3 and a Martin the other .

Captain Phillips, when you arrived in Kadena were you warned to stay away from BC Street?

smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After thinking about it, my best layover was in Waterloo, Ia. in June 1977 when I met my wonderful wife Bonnie. Second best was my last trip from STL to Maui. I received a line check from Rocky Dollarhide. He left me there and brought the trip home.......that was wonderful! Thanks Rocky....
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1968 or so, towards the end of quarterly bidding on international, we had a quarter Apr-Jun
where we had a pairing that was nothing but six (6) day layovers in Lisbon.

We were staying at the Atlantico, newest and most expensive hotel in Estoril. Every crew room was a suite with a large balcony overlooking the Atlantic and we signed for everything.

John Peek was the captain and he told me when we checked in that I was to "host" the first nite's happy hour in my room and to tell room service not to skimp on the shrimp and caviar. Yes sir! (John was ex USMC.)The F/E was Greg Fry who later died in a storm ferrying a single engine plane BIKF-EGPK.

The cabin crew laid over with us for the whole time and we went horseback riding, sailing and touring in a rented car. And got paid...good ole 1 for 4.

This was kinda long but it was a long trip.

Reluctantly retired

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy,

I responded by personal email.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

Well, (ever notice how many people start out with the word “WELL”, after which they spend several minutes saying almost nothing of interest about anything?) Considering the author, this may just be another of those times...

The intent, however, is to attempt to share/explore
a few more thoughts about “unforgettable” TWA layovers. Since this topic was started there have been almost “Fairytale-like stories” of the company providing extended layover time in some of the most desirable locations in the world, not to mention the newest and finest accommodations available.....Am I a little envious?..........No, not really....Having to fly over those scary oceans with all those hours of boredom deserved a bit of extra consideration for those involved.

The great stories already told/shared concerning unforgettable flights and layovers during the days prior to (and after) “company provided hotel accommodations” might fit into a class by themselves. Some may recall the names of various hotels selected by pilots when we were paying for rooms from our own expense allowance....(Anyone notice how all of a sudden our “expectations” for first or second class hotels increased once the company was footing the bill?)

So, here we go, back to a most unforgettable layover. My Captain was an ex-fighter/pilot. Not a military fighter-pilot, but a real live professional (in the ring) pugilist...And the layover...None other than McKeesport, Pa. at the Penn McKee Hotel. ...

Having been away from boxing for a number of years, the Captain was a little concerned about a slight weight gain...To shorten the story, we decided to have a workout at the local YMCA......Some weight-lifting and bag-punching was my only interest, but noticing a boxing ring, the “boss” couldn’t resist. “We’ll just put the pillows on.” He said........Well, (there’s that word again) somewhere along the way, his killer instinct came alive and my large nose became the target. Blood flowed from my nose to my feet.

Remember the comment about “one for four”. That program might have derived its name from those moments in the ring. He hit me at least four times for every time I got lucky and hit him once.
Without mentioning his name... his initials were Doug Kuleman.
He was and will always be one of my favorite Captains.

And, although there were other more ENJOYABLE layovers, that had to be one of the most “unforgettable”.

“Hit me again, Captain”
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Recent events in the news tend to remind me of a “bit of an unforgettable layover” in one of my favorite cities, (to fly in and out of) STL.

Date: forgotten. ( 1980 would be close.)
Main Characters/Stars: Two local (armed) tough guys
Bit player: airline pilot smoking a cigar

Scene One: Pilot approaches end of motel hallway, looking for his room number. As Key is inserted to unlock door, a voice is heard and at the same time something is felt being shoved into the small of his middle-aged back...”Open the door and get inside” were the spoken words, just as the second “local gentleman” appeared on his left side to join the party.

Scene TWO: Pilot looses his Captain’s authority while “hog-tied” with his own uniform necktie and Number One local tough guy sits on his back with gun at victim’s temple. Meanwhile, tough guy Number two goes thru bags looking for cigars. Unable to find the really valuable “stuff”, they settle for a gold wedding band, a gold- looking Timex watch (purchased with a typical pilot’s discount) and a wallet with a fair amount of cash.

Scene THREE: Moments later, there was a click as the door was closed. The necktie was loosened, motel operator called, and believe it or not, while perched on the open window sill....a helicopter with searchlight and a police car following was observed and arrived within seconds. Yes, seconds. ......It seems they had been responding to similar problem at the motel RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

The next few minutes were (in today’s lingo) Really Cool. The police officers permitted the pilot to accompany them (guns drawn) in a search of the halls, closets and then, without a cap or tie, check out the bar, where someone said: “You can’t go in there in uniform, Captain.
“Like H**L I can’t”.

Scene 4.......Someone called the police and said it was believed the suspects were in a car behind the motel. After a near collision down a narrow alley the “suspect” was only the motel security guard and a young “lady” enjoying the evening......

You might say it WAS rather unforgettable.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory