Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » "A Day Which Will Live in Infamy"

Author Topic: "A Day Which Will Live in Infamy"
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we ought to let this day go by without taking note of this anniversary, which has been neglected in recent years.
 -

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Captain Billy.

Seven AT-6's roared overhead this morning, heading for their target near the Santa Paula airport.

This, I believe, is the 45th, consecutive year that this recognition has been shown by the Condor Squadron.

And, the target.........an eight foot diameter red meatball. Plastered and shredded with 5 pound bags of flower.

Our Comrades will never be forgotten.

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the Hawaiian state flag hanging at half staff on Dec 7. I think my neighbors thought it was the British flag. One neighbor did not know about Dec 7, but now he does.
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite possibly,I've told this story before:

Back in '82 we were deploying to Kadena AB, Okinawa from Tinker AFB, OK. We had a one or two day layover Hickham AFB and the crew had time available to do a few tourist things in and around Honolulu. While at Pearl Harbor, a Japanese tourist approached our group and asked one of our guys where he could find the USS Arizona. The radar operator pointed toward the monument and said, "It's right where you left it."

Diplomacy (and good manners) wasn't our strong suit.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PITbeast,

Had that same Japanese tourist visited the Condor operation at VNY and asked where the Japanese flag could be found, he would have been invited to view our complex.

Entering our main meeting room, a downward glance would have answered his question.....The entire floor area beautifully tiled.

[ 12-09-2014, 10:39: Message edited by: extwacaptain ]

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of examples of the December 7th commemorations of The Condor Squadron that Capt. Randy mentioned:
 -  -

Learn more about this organization on this web site.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Results of Sunday”s “mission”

Dropped by the Condors the afternoon of the 7th to greet our returning aircrews. As our leader, Chris Rushing climbed out of his airplane with a BIG smile, I asked: “Did you tear up the target?” The smile grew larger as he held up 5 fingers and replied “5 hits”. Well, his father in law, the Col. must have given away some of his skills. (or secrets) Normally each crew carries and drops a total of five (sometimes one on the floor of the backseat by a rookie). To score a hit on every pass at a minimum of 145 MPH ain’t all that bad. (Speed "radar" enforced by our leader.)

Captain Billy’s ref. to the Condor’s web site is most interesting and appreciated.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory