Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Single-Pilot Cockpit Idea Floated in NASA Study

Author Topic: Single-Pilot Cockpit Idea Floated in NASA Study
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose this had to happen, but it doesn't look like it will any time soon. According to THIS ARTICLE, it won't happen before 2030, so most of us won't be around to see it.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people have way too much time on their hands! I guess this daydreaming is what NASA does since Obama gutted their space program.
Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The international aviation system has reached unmatched levels of safety and reliability, in part because of greater automation and a widely accepted global standard for cockpit behavior and cooperation.
Perhaps these levels are "unmatched" but they are still TOO HIGH!

I wonder what the pay ratio will be for the "ground pounder" sitting at a computer at home watching the Patriots game!

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irish:
Some people have way too much time on their hands! I guess this daydreaming is what NASA does since Obama gutted their space program.

Obama can't win, if he doesn't trim the budget he gets accused of overspending and if he does he trims someone's sacred cow.

I'd much rather have the money spent on NexGen and be able to fly safely when I do fly or on our highways and be able to drive safely when I do drive than on somebody's space adventure.

Maybe, if we are ever able to pay off Bush's Iraq Odyssey we can afford to go to Mars but it's not on my "to do" list.

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should not forget that we were only promised to be able to “keep our doctor”. There was no mention of maintaining two seats in every airliner cockpit.

Memory will remind us all that cockpit crews have varied from one dashing gentleman with helmet and goggles and mustache in an open cockpit plane to the two man crew, the three man crew, the four man crew (a little “feather-bedding” during the early jet age). It would appear that the two pilot crew seems to have been rather successful and the choice of many airlines. There’s that old saying: “If it works, don’t (you know what)”.

For the record, the one pilot crew actually did exist on a few occasions many, many years ago. during which, although two individuals were physically present in a plane’s cockpit, one was treated as completely useless and unnecessary. A few of our “Old-Timers” truly believed a co-pilot’s purpose in life was to reduce the captain’s take home pay.

Thankfully, TWA had an unwritten policy.........”If you like your copilot, you can keep your copilot.”
and the same policy (promise) applied..........If you like your captain, you can keep your captain.

Our airline was pretty good about keeping their promises, Mr. Gruber‘

signed:
completely spoiled by the three pilot crew,
Randy Kramer

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
A few of our “Old-Timers” truly believed a co-pilot’s purpose in life was to reduce the captain’s take home pay.

Haha. There were still a couple of those left by the time I became a copilot, and it seemed like I had the "pleasure" of flying with more than my share of them.
quote:
Thankfully, TWA had an unwritten policy.........”If you like your copilot, you can keep your copilot.”

By the time I became a captain, of course, I would like to have had the opposite option on a few occasions, but didn't want to inflict my problems on an innocent captain.
quote:
and the same policy (promise) applied..........If you like your captain, you can keep your captain.

Why am I reminded of the old saying, "Sometimes I think the biggest jerk in the airline is the guy in the other seat, whichever seat I happen to be occupying at the time."
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can remember when in Europe, the De Havilland Rapide was used on short flights with only one pilot because there was only one seat, right up front. Have flown in ours here in Virginia Beach and we carry 7 pax, nice airplane. I still like three men as said by Capt. Kramer, makes you feel warm inside and I am grateful.
I have added this Christmas song for all to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooc5eJc5SHA

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I cannot blow the whistle...I cannot ring the bell...but let this damned thing jump the tracks...and guess who catches hell"?
Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would they handle one pilot ops on ultra long haul flights. Will the single pilot be allowed to operate 3 on and 3 off while crossing the Pacific? Isn't that CIA torture?

Maybe they'll just skip single pilot ops and go straight for a drone type ops. No one in the cockpit and somebody in a dark room on the ground observing. "Hey Al, I think my plane just crashed."

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a little thought, maybe we should give this "one-pilot airliner crew thing" more consideration. Just think of it....Always first choice of crew meals and whenever there's a manual landing, guess who gets to slick it on. [Big Grin]
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thinking Captain Kramer. There is always a bright side!!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory