Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Capt. Clyde Nixon Flies West

Author Topic: Capt. Clyde Nixon Flies West
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - Clarence Clyde Nixon, age 92 was born April 30, 1922 in Price, UT and passed away November 19, 2014 in Dixie Regional Hospital.

His parents were Clarence George and Lora Wootton Nixon. He married LaVon Jones, his high school sweetheart, in Jacksonville, Florida January 12, 1944.

During his early years the family resided in Price, Heber City, Salt Lake, and Cedar City. In 1931 the family moved to a farm in Moore, Idaho. He attended Moore School from the 3rd to the 12th grades, was senior class president, was active in sports and music, was top scorer in basketball and on the district all-star team. He was given a scholarship to Ricks College because of his academic record, basketball achievement and leadership. At Ricks he was on the track team earning a letter for two years and was Sophomore Class President. At this time he was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was ordained an Elder and served as Superintendent of Sunday School in the College Ward.

In November 1942, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy, was commissioned a Navy Aviator and served in the Pacific Area pulling targets for training of anti-aircraft trainees. He achieved the rank of Lt. Commander in the Navy. After release from active duty he flew for Pan American Airlines then as a pilot for Trans World Airlines until retirement. During a flight he was high-jacked to Cuba.

Clyde was a compassionate, loving person and as such became involved in a Special Health Program sponsored by ALPA (Air Line Pilots Association) in 1970-71 assisting pilots with alcohol problems and continued to serve in this program for several years. Thousands of pilots were able to return to, or remain flying through this program.

He was called back to active duty during the Korean Conflict and flew in the Pacific area again.

After retirement Clyde moved to Hawaii living in Lahaina and Hana. While there he married Diane Corrigan. He and Diane have resided in Mesquite, Nevada for past several years.

Clyde's interests and hobbies were travel, tropical plants, paintings, Polynesian history and culture, hiking, swimming, philosophy, poetry, his children, good laughter and maintaining good health.

Rest in Peace, Captain Nixon

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to CA Nixon,

I especially appreciate his work in Special Health as I am a beneficiary of SHS in 1986 and spent a decade passing it on to other pilots.

Must be the season for loss of WW-2 vets. My dear neighbor and WW-2 Vet... Art Pyeatt... who spent much of WW-2 in Hawaii died on Pearl Harbor Day... December 7th 2014. Aged 91 years and 7 months.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

I was especially touched by your SHS experience and am very happy how your life turned out.

You're right. There certainly aren't many WW2 types remaining, rest their souls.

Paul

Charlie Jennings
Post Captain
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Jennings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sorry to hear about Clyde's passing.
I flew many trips with him out of SFO in the 60's and 70's. There was not a finer gentleman flying the line for TWA.

Rest in peace Clyde.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory