Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Congo Bush flyers

Author Topic: Congo Bush flyers
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the AA news letter, Capt. Yudell mentioned a site you might be interested in called the worst place for pilots. After viewing the first about Papua, view the list along the right side and select Congo bush Pilots. Quite well done and I spent over 2 years there in 1960-61+ in DC-4's and later a Douglas Carvair ALT 98. Consider back then, in the whole territory, there were only 5 towns or cities that had air control and paved runways and only 3 VOR's so we flew with large maps, low and used a few weak ADF's. Two man crew and loaded with anything you can think of. Flew 220 hours for 2 months then took off for a couple of weeks, then back again for 2 more, etc., all to get time to get back to scheduled airlines. I found it interesting to see the changes and then to see that a lot has not changed. Flew as Capt. 90% of my time there.
The site is HTTP.//youtu.be/HT5gUKJidiO [Cool]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that the code that was listed in the letter does not come up. It was posted on youtube as "Worst Place to be a Pilot Season1/episode1. Sorry for the confusion but I do not belong to Utube. Maybe you guys can set me straight.Hope you can find the site as it has many eerie stories and videos.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click Congo Bush Pilots for the episode. You can also see a list of all the episodes of "Worst place to be a pilot" here.
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Capt. This board is like google....ask anything and someone has an answer but,we must also realize, this is a very savvy board. Lots of brain power right here and proud that we are. In many air crashes, they should come to people that have a lot of knowledge and experience to give a logical or reasonable answer. Short answer, last night in Virginia Beach, I lost a great friend and the "newsman" wisely said, "the wings broke off as they were designed to do" and the aircraft wings were intact except for the right wing tip. Mooney crash in Norfolk. On the inter-net. For you QB'ers, he was our governor. Sad times.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome, Robert. Some of us are pretty proficient with this Internet stuff; others have a life!
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Dedman:
For you QB'ers, he was our governor. Sad times.

Read about the crash... very unfortunate. One question... what's a "QB?"
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an aviation society that is named "Quiet Birdmen". It was formed in 1921. In order to get in, you must attend 12 meetings, have over 500 hrs of logged time and be sponsored by another QB. Wonderful group. We meet once a month and eat, drink, and be merry! Not too bad.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Dedman,

Three score and a little more than ten years ago, big brother Richard, a pilot for American at the time and a QB member of the Washington, D.C. hangar, took his kid brother to a meeting in our Nation’s Capitol.

Well, talk about feeling “slightly out of place”, but extremely proud. Except for the two of us, everyone there appeared to be either a General, Admiral, Senator or Congressman. The military leaders were not too difficult to spot. The “others” were. Had it not been for the Air Corps uniform and the 15th patch, this 20 year old would have undoubtedly been ushered out, but instead was made to feel most welcome.

Knowing there would someday be a “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy [Cool] concerning drinking under the age of twenty one, that information was considered confidential for the evening. Not being scheduled for a flight the next day, let’s just say: “It was a most enjoyable and interesting time’'.

And now a question. It has long been my understanding that the saying: “Of All The Birds That Fly, The Parrot Talks The Best, and Flies The Poorest” originated with the QBs...Just seems as if that would be appropriate. Is this true?

Little brother of a “Key Man”

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt. Kramer; I was "key man" for three years and I will say that I have heard the expression but I cannot vouch for its origin. I am sure that you would make a great QB so seek out some members in your area. You would be a wonderful addition to a respected club.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Dedman:
Capt. Kramer; I will say that I have heard the expression but I cannot vouch for its origin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, in that case, maybe it was three score and about twelve years ago when that saying about pilots and parrots was heard or read. It certainly would have served a great purpose had it been very visible to young guys, like myself during early days of military flight training. Some of us thought because we had a few hours of (unmentioned) flight time, and already had our own Ray-Bans, we were destined to become the “Aces” of the class.......Yep, it’s my guess that the saying about “All the birds that fly” was posted in the briefing rooms of our Air Corps training facilities during years gone by.

While attempting to find the origin of these words, the following story was found:

A man in a passenger jet finds himself sitting next to a parrot. The man calls over a stewardess and asks for a coffee. The parrot screeches, ‘And while you’re there, get me gin and tonic, you fat cow!’ A few moments later the stewardess returns with the parrot’s drink. Again the man asks for a coffee. The parrot screeches, ‘And while you’re at it, get me some peanuts, you stupid old trollop.’ The stewardess hurries away and comes back with the parrot’s peanuts. The man asks where his coffee is but the parrot screeches, ‘Now get me a glass of water, you old hag!’ The stewardess quickly brings the parrot a glass of water. By now the man is annoyed at not getting his coffee after asking three times, so he decides to act like the parrot, ‘Listen, you moron!’ he shouts. ‘Get me some bloody coffee pronto!’ The stewardess has had enough. She calls over two stewards and the man and the parrot are thrown out of the plane. As the man and the parrot plummet towards the ground, the parrot says, ‘Well, you’ve certainly got a lot of guts for someone who can’t fly.
Captain Bob,

Your suggestion to join the Quiet Birdmen is greatly appreciated, however I have only one liver to give, and it’s promised to our Condor Squadron [Wink] [Wink]

[ 03-07-2015, 18:57: Message edited by: extwacaptain ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Any discussion concerning the Quiet Birdmen would not be complete without mentioning the accomplishments and contributions of many of their members. A search and review of a partial list of many of the notable members should be found most interesting.

The word “Humble” keeps coming to mind.

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
A search and review of a partial list of many of the notable members should be found most interesting.

One name on that list brought back a long-dormant memory. During the early '70s I was F/O on a 707 flight from Indianapolis to LA, which left shortly after the big race ended. A lot of "celebrities" were on that flight back to LA, such as Ronny Howard of "Happy Days," one or both of the "Laverne and Shirley" actresses and some others I don't remember. The F/As were giddy with excitement over having such famous and wonderful people aboard, but of course we on the flight deck were less so.

When the passengers were deplaning in LA I noticed an agent saying to a short, balding gent something on the order of "Hope you enjoyed your flight, General." As soon as I got a chance I asked the agent who it was and he told me it was Gen. Doolittle. If I had known he was aboard I would certainly have gone back and shook his hand, but of course the F/As' starstruck eyes were on those entertainers, and didn't know Jimmy Doolittle from Barney Rubble. Sigh.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory