Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Flying and The Kentucky Derby

Author Topic: Flying and The Kentucky Derby
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fifty nine years ago today, a TWA charter flight returning from the Kentucky Derby to Detroit, encountered an engine fire shortly after take-off from the Louisville airport. The flight returned, landed, and after a short delay, repairs were made and the flight continued its journey to destination.

In itself, not a story..... (That was the best part!) It was kinda nice not having the media following so closely that they were enjoying the pleasure of the cigar smoke more than the guys doing all the work.

Glasspilot
Post Captain
Member # 390

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Glasspilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Kramer, did your horse win that day? He, He!
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares about the Kentucky Derby? Here's the fascinating story of the origin of the much-more-perstigious KURWARD DERBY!

Also, let's not forget this almost-as-prestigious event called "RUNNING FOR THE RODENTS!"

[ 05-03-2015, 11:48: Message edited by: Capn Eddie Ricketyback ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of horse races and airline pilots,

While doing ALPA work during the mid 80s, I found myself as the dinner guest of the Vice President of flight at Piedmont Airlines. He related a wonderful story of horse racing and a certain Piedmont captain.

Back in the 1960s it seems that a gambling charter had been flown to the Caribbean in a Piedmont Martin 404. The captain was a notorious gambler and all around fun guy.

As fate would have it the captain somehow lost over $25,000.00 at the race track and couldn't come up with the cash. When he and the crew decided to make a fast get away in their Martin they found Piedmont's pride and joy chained to the ground.

After much chastising and threats of all sorts....my host, who was a Chief Pilot at the time, managed to arrange a loan at the airline credit union and transfer the money to the gambling facility.

After the money transfer:the chains came off.... airplane and crew returned safely to Piedmont country.

No CNN. No international crisis. Nobody got fired. Just a little butt chewing and head shaking laughter. Those were the days.

[ 05-03-2015, 12:56: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
thebear
Post Captain
Member # 349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thebear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Assuming that event took place no later than 1970, $25K adjusted for inflation would be north of $185K today.

To quote a line from the BBC's "Peaky Blinders". An Irish thug says to his gambling brother: "Thomas, fast women and slow horses will be the death of ya." Love it.

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No CNN, HLN, FOXNews etc running 26 hours a day creating a crisis where none exist.

Also not around back then were cell phones with cameras and also not likely security [spy] cameras on telephone poles. It wasn't even 1984 yet.

But, the cell phone does offer an opportunity for citizens to put law enforcement in check. Law enforcement may control the telephone pole but they can't control every citizen with a cell phone....yet.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glasspilot:
Captain Kramer, did your horse win that day? He, He!

~~~~Captain Andy,

You know, I really don’t remember how that horse did. He probably got around that track in less time than it has taken me to respond to your appreciated words.

Far more enjoyable than having a winning ticket at a track that day/evening, was having a fine gentleman giving the check ride (Captain Al Headstrom)...... perfect weather and an airport exactly where it was most appreciated.

Yep, being dealt a handful of aces when you have a full house beats a 2 dollar bet on the nose most days of the week.

signed: a combination jockey/pilot (my first couple of flying lessons were being thrown from a horse)
Well, that’s how some people would embellish falling off the side while going around a slight bend in the trail...or over the horse’s head when slowing slightly. If only those things had seat belts, h@ll, I could’a been watching myself riding around that track instead of trying to fly an airplane, which may have been the very beginning of narcissism...or selfies ....Oh, What Difference does it make?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory