Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Second Air France Investigaton in two weeks

Author Topic: Second Air France Investigaton in two weeks
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/29/uk-airfrance-probe-exclusive-idUKKBN0OE1N220150529
Glasspilot
Post Captain
Member # 390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glasspilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least the crew recognized the problem and pushed up the throttles and flew it off. Unlike the Air Florida crash (1982) where the power was too low on T/O and they never recognized it and hit the bridge.

(I have a close friend who's sister was on the AF flt, one of the survivors.)

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,

The Air Florida ops. manual did not even discuss PT-2 icing or the need to turn on engine anti-ice.
Of course the FAA approved manual was changed after the fact.

The copilot recognized the reduced power but the captain failed to respond. The EPR reading indicated proper power but the icing caused a faulty reading. The real key was percent of RPM. Ever after that I became more alert to the % of RPM as well as EPR indications. The captain had a history of training difficulties.

A terrible tragedy.

Bob

[ 06-01-2015, 06:29: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory