Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Flying without fuel

Author Topic: Flying without fuel
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you haven't been keeping up with this story, there's a solar-powered aircraft currently attempting to fly around the world. It recently departed China for Hawaii on the longest leg of its journey, but had to land in Japan after 44 hrs. aloft due to cloudy weather. Couple of Swiss chaps, André Borschberg and Bertrand Piccard (no relation to Jean-Luc) are taking turns flying it.
Read all about it here.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Solar Power,

The future is upon us. A couple years ago my wife and I were watching a 60 MINUTES TV special on the Saudi oil industry. They were interviewing the Sheik in charge. The reporter asked him what the Saudis would do when their oil ran out in 50 to 100 years.

"We will cover the desert with solar panels and sell electricity to the world" he said.

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are companies now offering installation of solar panels on your house at no cost. You benefit from "Credits" for the energy generated by the panels and will be applied to your electric bill.

Nothing new, just a new approach. Here on Cape Cod we have windmills and solar farms...still attempting to place windmills in the ocean waters.

Meanwhile, our beaches are eroding away on the Atlantic side due to storms and failure of the Army Corp of Engineers to follow up replenishment of sand which is blocked by the jetty at the eastern mouth of the canal.

Bob

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago the New York Power Authority tried to put windmills in Lake Erie nearly from one end to another. Many people complained including myself.

We have a very popular area called Sunset Bay. They'd have to do a name change to something like Turbine Bay or something. Who wants to sit on a beach during a beautiful sunset and watch hundreds of turbines creating a barbed wire fence look?

I also brought up the fact that they'd be a hazard to flight. To put a mill in Lake Erie, it has to be incredibly strong to withstand the winters here, especially ice. Lake Erie is fairly heavily trafficked for JF'sK Lindy arrival. Texas to Europe traffic can be heavy and also Asia/NY traffic depending on winds aloft.

If a plane has to ditch into a lake full of wind turbines, the plane will be slashed to pieces.

Wasn't there just a recent story somewhere about power companies slapping heavy fee's on home owners with solar?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory