Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Another Refueling Story

Author Topic: Another Refueling Story
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-time-a-tanker-saved-a-fighter-that-was-falling-apar-1733187406
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this really a true story?

In one paragraph it says, "The F-4E could not hold on, and broke away from the tanker...."

The very next paragraph says, "Amazingly, holding the connection....."

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point but I think what you found is an example of shoddy editing.

And the guys did get a trophy.

And the article is on the Internet so it must be true.

And besides, I have never, ever met a pilot who exaggerated, even a little bit, when telling a story. Have you?

Shoddy editing.

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little background music for the original post.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PITbeast:

And besides, I have never, ever met a pilot who exaggerated, even a little bit, when telling a story. Have you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andy,

Many years ago, maybe during the earlier days of refueling, our LA chief pilot made the decision for refueling his Connie crew’s dinner requirement during a Chicago layover. His choice of restaurants being George Diamond’s Steak House.

To be very honest, during and after a most wonderful meal, the cockpit crew became engaged in a game of “Liar’s Poker”. .......Yep, we did kinda “Fib” a bit that evening only, but it was consensual. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Randy, I have always contended that veracity has little to do with the quality of a story.

This was proven to me when stationed in Montana. I observed that when fishermen... excuse me... I mean "fisherpersons of widely varied and totally acceptable lifestyles, orientations, heritages, and plumbing".... oh, the hell with it...the guys would tell a fishing story, their right and left hands would get further and further apart. I deduced that either they were lying through their teeth or Montana fish continued to grow after being caught.

By the way, Capt. Eddie, that was a cute little ditty you linked to the other day. I had to spend three hours on the riding mower to get the tune unstuck from my head.

In case anyone was wondering, it's raining here and I just dumped 4.5" inches of water from the rain gauge. Really. That's the truth. i wouldn't lie to you guys.

[ 10-02-2015, 07:48: Message edited by: PITbeast ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or....as Chuck Yeager said when telling of his and Bob Hoover exploits: "It may not be the way it happened, but it is the way we remember it"!
Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory