Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » The Air Force Story

Author Topic: The Air Force Story
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like there's been a pretty long dry spell on these pages lately, unlike my own place of residence (Columbia, SC). BTW our luck held out, we were unscathed by the devastation that took place only about 10 miles east of us last month. No flooding at all, no loss of power or water.

I recently happened upon an extensive history of the organization that gave many of us a start in this business. Since it was produced by the USAF in the late '40s and early '50s, it includes a liberal dose of propaganda, but not so much as to distract from its historical value. It consists of 26 approximately 14 minute episodes that start at the beginning of the Air Service in the early 1900s until the early days of the Cold War (The B-36 is the most modern airplane it covers). It was interesting to me that, although Billy Mitchell's advocacy of air power was covered pretty well, it "inexplicably" failed to mention his court martial! Video and sound are pretty good, but as in most programs without CC I find headphones help me with the dialogue.

There are a few additional episodes of Vol. 2 that include part of the Korean War and part of Vietnam, but since that volume is incomplete I haven't bothered to watch it yet.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff you may want to watch "The Air Force Story."

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started watching the first chapter this morning. Five chapters later, and the enjoyment and interest continues to grow.

Kinda makes a guy want to re-enlist. [Wink]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory