Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » AA has painted a 737 in TWA colors

Author Topic: AA has painted a 737 in TWA colors
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "New" American Airlines TWA Heritage Aircraft has rolled out of the Paint Hanger.

https://instagram.com/p/-KbM_Tox5C/

[ 11-16-2015, 22:10: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, American can't do anything right. They should have picked the final TWA paint job. Roger Moore
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking at the site Airliners.net and saw the new paint job. While I'm glad they've done it, it just doesn't "fit". For one thing, they should have used "TWA" on the fuselage with a smaller "American" below it.

But everybody's got an opinion on it. I guess its better than not. Check out this website for Star Stream examples:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6552737/

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it looks great and hope that I get to see the actual thing instead of a picture some day.

I do believe that the original idea may have been USAIR's (no surprise) as they have had planes painted in the colors of their legacy carriers, for example PIEDMONT, for several years.

Anyhow, great idea and certainly good for morale.

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AA has expressed respect and consideration for TWA that was not shown toward other airlines in the past.

I too would have liked the last paint job better but they chose the one most reflective of TWA's latter years.

My son flew home on an Airbus 319 last week painted in Piedmont colors. I applaud AA for their consideration.

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
fdobcy
Post Captain
Member # 3039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fdobcy   Email fdobcy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Charlie Jennings
Post Captain
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Jennings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too, think it looks great! Thanks American for thinking of all TWA former employees with this respectful gesture.
Glasspilot
Post Captain
Member # 390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glasspilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Moore:
They should have picked the final TWA paint job. Roger Moore

I think one factor in choosing the paint job was the "classic" one they used is much easier (ie, faster/cheaper) to duplicate than the last TWA paint job. It was beautiful but complicated. It would be interesting to get a TWA MCI mechanic/painter from those years his opinion.

[ 11-18-2015, 05:43: Message edited by: Glasspilot ]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us all be grateful for American doing that for us. I think it is beautiful and TWA really stands out. [Smile]
ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal favorite was always the "Twin Globes" livery. But I'll take this one. Its great to see TWA on the tail of an active airliner again.
Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great PR move by American.

May it be successful in helping attract those passengers, who in years gone by favored our airline and have been seeking to find their “New airline loyalty”.

“The (TWA) passengers are (still) King”

fdobcy
Post Captain
Member # 3039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fdobcy   Email fdobcy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following rcvd from TWA Captain Felix Usis

I ran across another oddity. Just thought you might like to know and pass along to other TWAers.

American Airlines on November 16 introduced its TWA heritage livery logo jet. The pictured Boeing 737-823 N915NN (msn 33227) wears the 1979 livery of Trans World Airlines with joint American and TWA titles.

unquote

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory