Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » A Very Difficult Post

Author Topic: A Very Difficult Post
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very close friend and member of this board, Capn Eddie Ricketyback, (TWA Captain Billy Rawl) begins chemotherapy treatment tomorrow. Fortunately, he has a wonderful family support group and a never faltering positive attitude to be successful in defeating this challenge.

May the future only bring good news, Captain Billy.

Randy Kramer

[ 12-16-2015, 20:08: Message edited by: extwacaptain ]

ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for letting us know.

Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CA Billy,

Our thoughts are with you for a successful recovery.

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt. Billy....I will be praying, and I know Jesus personally!
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long ago, when I was just out of high school, I got hit with cancer and had chemo and radiation. This is what you need to fight......Attitude, keep your eye on the horizon and fight for it. A good family and friends network. And a good bag of pot! No kidding.

The treatment that I had long ago is much different now. My reaction to it was not fun. I only used pot at the end of my treatments. I learned that if I ever have to do it again, I'm gonna have me a big bag of it, at the beginning.

The best way to keep focused is to place an imaginary object in front of you that is so important that you'd do anything to get it no matter what. Fight for it and don't give up.

It must work because I'm still here after 29 years.

If you can find this book, I suggest you read it. It helped me out a lot.

-

Good luck.

[ 12-21-2015, 21:16: Message edited by: Subsonic Transport ]

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you all for your good wishes and encouragement. Started chemo 6 days ago which means I
haven't felt much like doing anything for about the last 5, but feel well enough now to send you these
Christmas Greetings that I sent my former SAC colleagues. Don't have quite enough gusto to make a different one.

-

EDIT: P.S.: Dan, thanks for the tips and I'll try to find the book. As far as the pot's concerned, not having
inhaled a cigarette for more than 60 years, if I tried to inhale a joint I'm pretty sure it would save me the
trouble of going through all this treatment!

[ 12-24-2015, 14:27: Message edited by: Capn Eddie Ricketyback ]

XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha! Just to add to Cpt Eddie's words about chemotherapy
I too began last March having chemo. I have a very rare
Form of cancer that effects my skin. I have chemo 3x a month
On Friday and off the 4th week. I sit being infused for
5 hours, watching TV, reading or a little sleep.
Positive thinking is the answer. I am so grateful to my
Dr's, nurses and entire staff that is always treating me
Like a Queen. I realize how fortunate I am to still be alive
and being so well cared for.
My husband is a gem, helping me through this and I am
confident that I can still have a great life ahead of me.
Cpt Eddie, good luck and we will overcome this obstacle.
Aloha nui loa from Hawaii,
Benay

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too began last March having chemo. I have a very rare
Form of cancer that effects my skin. I have chemo 3x a month
On Friday and off the 4th week. I sit being infused for
5 hours, watching TV, reading or a little sleep.
Positive thinking is the answer. I am so grateful to my
Dr's, nurses and entire staff that is always treating me
Like a Queen. I realize how fortunate I am to still be alive
and being so well cared for.
My husband is a gem, helping me through this and I am
confident that I can still have a great life ahead of me.
Cpt Eddie, good luck and we will overcome this obstacle.
Aloha nui loa from Hawaii,
Benay

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May you recovery be swift and permanent. We cannot afford to lose our great poster man after all. Our prayers are with you and family.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by XHNLEIC:
I too began last March having chemo.

I would say welcome to the club, Benay, but looks like you've been a member for almost a year. I can echo your remarks about the kind, considerate and caring medical staff and volunteers here in my area. The facility that cares for me is an affiliate of Duke Medical Center, and I'm positive I'm receiving the best possible care I could receive anywhere.

I pass the time during my infusions watching opera and classical music videos on my laptop, interspersed with a little web browsing and e-mailing, while relaxing in the comfortable recliners they provide.

I have also been totally spoiled by my wonderful bride Alida, her daughters and numerous local friends and neighbors. We had to ask them to stop bringing food, as our refrigerator was bursting.

I notice that Pat Conroy is the most recent conscript in my branch of the Cancer Club. Other celebrities include Michael Landon, Ben Gazzara, Steve Jobs, Luciano Pavarotti and many others. Not to put too fine a point on it, if it weren't for the prestige involved I'd just as soon not have joined them!

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eddie: Something fine that you have in your "ditty" bag is a good sense of humor. It is a very valuable tool so keep it near-by and use it often.
You are in good hands with Duke so God bless.

smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt. Eddie....I will be praying for you, (I know Jesus personally). I guess I already said that....I have been....
I was in SAC also, a lowly crew chief at Chennault AFB, Bunker Hill AFB, 1960-64. B-47, B-58.

jack

[ 02-24-2016, 14:45: Message edited by: smilinjack ]

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

quote:
Originally posted by smilinjack:
Capt. Eddie....I will be praying for you, (I know Jesus personally). jack

Thanks, Jack! It's always nice to have an inside track.
quote:
Originally posted by smilinjack:

I was in SAC also, a lowly crew chief at Chennault AFB, Bunker Hill AFB, 1960-64. B-47, B-58. jack

During my 3 yrs. in the enlisted ranks of the AF (after about 3 1/2 years as a Navy enlisted man) I was a Weapons Mechanic in TAC on RB-66s at Shaw AFB and B-57s at Johnson AB, Japan. My assignment to KC-97s in SAC after training in T-33s was a big factor in persuading me to pursue an airline career. I figured that if I was going to have to fly multis for a living I may as well do it in a safer environment and with the pay and other advantages of airline flying. Never regretted tossing away that 11 1/2 years total service!
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

I wouldn't have missed that "KP and Latrine Duty" for anything [Big Grin] .

Every airline Captain should have a few hours of it on their resume. [Smile]

Ex-pvt Army Air Corps

smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

" I figured that if I was going to have to fly multis for a living I may as well do it in a safer environment and with the pay and other advantages of airline flying"

Just like the story I heard of the airline pilot complaining of the rough ride at 35,000' to center, when a Navy pilot at 51,000' in a f-18 said "the ride is smooth, come on up".....the airline pilot said, "naaaa, the pay is better down here"!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory