Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » A Connie Makes A Quick Turn At LHR

Author Topic: A Connie Makes A Quick Turn At LHR
Charlie Jennings
Post Captain
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Jennings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following link should interesting to the former TWA troops who hang out around here. I never crewed on the Connies but I did have a ride on a couple.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/twa-turn-round/query/AIR+HOSTESS

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice video. Love those lie-flat seats!
H. B. Pratt
Junior Poster
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for H. B. Pratt   Email H. B. Pratt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who can identify the Capt or any of the crew in the Connie Quick Turn clip?
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the audio I heard Ray Wells mentioned as the Captain's name.

He and the rest of the crew may still have been employed when I came to work some 13 years later as an oil-stained wretch of a Connie Engineer, but to my knowledge I never encountered him or any of the rest of them. It was a happy day for me after a couple of years to get a 707 F/O bid and celebrated by buying all new uniform shirts. Hope I didn't cause spontaneous combustion in some garbage dump with those oil-soaked shirts I discarded.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I worked in the Belgian Congo, we used DC-4s to ferry fuel drums to remote airports. Since we got paid by the trip, we tried to keep the ground time to a minimum so we devised a scheme that worked real well. Upon landing, non-flyer would go back to the cabin, remove the cargo nets from 25 barrels of fuel. When pilot flying arrived at ramp, parked the brakes, the non flyer then opened the cargo rear doors, threw out a large aircraft tire that was tied to the aircraft floor. The pilot then started rolling the drums back, a quick kick and turn and out went the drum to roll across the ramp. When last barrel was out, the non flyer became the flyer and started to cockpit while non flyer now pulled in the tire, closed the doors and stowed the netting. We were rolling out for T/O. Time on ground was about 10 to 15 minutes. That way, we could make a second trip and that is how I built up my time to get with TWA. Believe it or not, we never got a leak from any fuel barrels and the United Nations people would clear them off the ramp.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 10 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"a quick kick and turn and out went the drum to roll across the ramp."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some guys really know how to “Kick the Can”. How come when my big brother and I would kick those things, the neighbors would complain, and yet you received “bonus points” (pay plus flying time). Oh, well, things worked out well for all of us. Some of that fuel you delivered in the Congo probably later ended up on Captain Billy’s uniform shirts, which were proudly worn by me after rescuing them from a local thrift store. [Big Grin] Stay Happy. Thanks for another interesting and positive story.

Glasspilot
Post Captain
Member # 390

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Glasspilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
which were proudly worn by me after rescuing them from a local thrift store. [Big Grin]

Now that right there is funny....no matter who you are! (Larry the Cable Guy)
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some of that fuel you delivered in the Congo probably later ended up on Captain Billy’s uniform shirts, which were proudly worn by me after rescuing them from a local thrift store. [Big Grin]

The shirts that were stained with oil,
In order not to be allowed to spoil,
Were rescued by Randy,
And I think that's just dandy.
But to avoid spontaneous combustion,
I made a "suggustion"
That first he put them to a boil.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very funny. In my other life with Panagra is South America, co-pilots did the walk around, fuel dipping and general walk around with "white Shirts and cap covers. Amazing how engines could time their drips exactly on the top of your white cap and 2 seconds later, dribble 5 or 6 drops along the back of your shirt. Must have been programed in to the engine..it "knew".
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We’ve been giving oil a bad rap lately. It should be mentioned that those shirts from the thrift store were one of my greatest successes as a bargain hunter..... In fact, so pleased with them that there has been a request placed at several thrift stores to save any oily socks they might receive. [Razz] That “standard policy” of three months before changing is saving our old washing machine a lot of wear and tear.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

quote:
We’ve been giving oil a bad rap lately.

Oil good in sockies
Give them special aroma
Thanks to dinosaurs

... Captain Haiku

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory