Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Now..........and THEN (7 years ago)

Author Topic: Now..........and THEN (7 years ago)
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 14 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on recent aviation (airline) news stories, some crew members “appear” to have attracted quite a bit of attention because of activities unrelated to normal airline activity. The Captain accused of attempting to “outperform” Burt Reynolds’s “Best Little Whorehouse in Texas” by supposedly operating several of them, also in Texas, took top billing, followed by the runner-up, a F/A “mule”. What a team they would have made if only they could have “Buddy Bid” between their airlines.

Anyway, once again, the reputation and image of our wonderful profession gets a bad rap because of the actions of a few.

Hopefully, when the traveling public thinks about airline crew members, Captain Sully Sullenberger, F/O Skiles and their F/A’s professionalism while performing the “Miracle On The Hudson” seven years ago, will come to mind. The only running those F/As did was up and down the isles to make certain no lives were lost. True Perfection.

Thanks, Capt. Sully and crew. You made us ALL extremely proud.

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Randy, I, too, find the "News of late" distressing. Unfortunately, this type of behavior which brings shame is spreading throughout most sectors of our American Society. It is becoming the norm. There is perceived lack of respect among the younger folks and their manners have been lacking for quite some time. It is embarrassing to travel to other countries and observe how rude and immature many Americans behave, dress, and vocalize (mostly loudly) when in their presence. Notice how many young Americans abroad end up in a jail or prison crying for Mommy and Dadding to come and rescue them from the host country's laws, which they have violated in some way.

Perhaps a review of the "Golden Rule" is now appropriate.

Bob

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite what the industry says, I blame our behavior on Hollywood and gaming.

For example, I have been a fan of The Walking Dead. But this past season, they've seemed to really amp up the gun violence. In your face shooting of another human being. Oh, its called fantasy violence. But when you turn on the news, they usually censor the actual shooting although not lately.

They've even got actors smoking cigarettes to the point its almost "In your Face" to the anti-smoking industry who are trying to save lives by preventing cancer.

I'm glad this Sunday is the season finale because I'm to the point I don't really want to watch it anymore.

You can pick up a game at any store and learn how to shoot people. Oh, I forgot, its fantasy violence, it won't harm anybody!

Somewhere along the line, the various forms of media directly or indirectly effect societies behavior. Its just a matter of time.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no different from the past. I can name an OZA CA who went to Federal Prison for murdering his wife way back in 1970. A TWA CA who went to prison in the Orient for engaging in the child sex trade. Another TWA CA who was sent to prison for a financial scam. An OZA pilot who repeatedly raped his adopted male children....whose adopted children eventually rose up and murdered him! Hump Pilots of WW-2 running a smuggling ring between China and Egypt(personal testimony given to me) Drunk on duty, sex with prostitutes,child abuse, selling illegal drugs....on and on.

No different today than yesterday. Just because some pilots lived exemplary lives and were consummate professionals or associate with those like themselves...doesn't mean that a tiny minority of ugliness didn't exist. Back in "the day" it was mostly hidden and the media wasn't 24/7 on steroids.

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Bob (Willcutts),

Maybe it’s old age. When I was young, being around my elders was considered as important as the time spent with those of the same age. Later in life, the reverse gained importance. Each group was considered to have thoughts about our world and life (and our airline operation) which I longed to share and from which, to gain benefit.

Obviously, the above transpired many years ago. Some, many, of our values have, as you mention, changed since we were young. I, too, miss the love we all shared for our country during years gone by. The respect we all shared for each other, law and order, personal self respect, character, and willpower.

To be honest, speaking for myself only, maybe many of us benefitted by having a chief pilot with a little previous experience as a “baby sitter”. But wasn’t that the "unwritten duty" of the co-pilot and engineer? [Smile]

God Bless America

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks, I will confess to something that humiliated me but made me a better man. When I was a new co-pilot with PANAGRA, in Peru,1958,(By-line, I grew up in Peru and knew all the pilots as they were my families friends and neighbors). I was a three man crew flying cargo to Miami and back. The flight went to Guayaquile and then on to Quito and Miami. The Captain always took the first leg and I was scheduled for the third leg to Miami. This was DC-4 days, so on the second leg, I sat in the navigators seat reading a mystery novel. As we approached Quito, high altitude airport and narrow canyon entrance, the Capt. called me to the cockpit. He ask me what canyon we were in and what was the minimum altitude we could accept. I think I said, sure beats me. A little later, Bob, where is the airport in relation to where we are? Said don't know. Well, my friend, the Capt. said, get you ass back to the rear of the aircraft and study our route manual, elevations, courses and distances and don't come back here till you know them all. Well, many flights later, I had memorized all of the hand book so I told the Capt. I was ready...got 100 on the quizzes, and there were many but I got all the legs home. When we landed, my friend told me, don't ever take aviation for granted, it will kill you and "always" know where you are. Kept me alive for many strange events in the Congo and Asia. Best words he ever spoke and after I made Captain, not with Panagra but TWA, I told him, those words really sunk into me. I ate crow but I am a survivor.
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KUDOS TO YOU CA Dedman,

The old guys didn't let us get by with crap. Their wisdom saved many lives of pilots and their passengers.

I was an "airline generation" behind you...but learned at the knees of men like yourself.

In the days before radar and often in non controlled airports the best airmen were the ones who always had a situational awareness picture in their heads. Long before GPS/INS moving maps....the picture was internal.

Thanks to you and your mentors.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, Did you ever fly with Bill Compton's dad? He was a Panagra Captain. Roger Moore
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, Did you ever fly with Bill Compton's dad? He was a Panagra Captain. Roger Moore
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but not as a working pilot. Deadheaded with him several times and my family knew him. I had Bill Compton here in Virginia Beach at our TARPA Convention in 1998. He was Prez. then.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://newsyac.com/2016/04/07/pilot-refuses-to-fly-without-favourite-female-co-pilot-keep-passengers-waiting-for-2-hours/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes there is “more to a story than meets the eye” [Roll Eyes] and that’s probably true about the Air India pilot who supposedly refused to fly without his favorite female co-pilot...However, assuming his request/demand was actually made and honored, he has to be given credit for restoring what some [Smile] claim to have been taken away over the years, (a rather unusual display of) “Captain’s Authority” [Big Grin] .

Just can’t help but wonder....How would Captain Ed Frankum have handled such a situation had it happened on TWA?

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Capt. Randy,

Would this be the opposite of telling the Company that you will call in sick if you don't want to fly with a particularly peculiar Captain?

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

That’s a “tough one” for me to answer. .....The fact that this incident occurred in the springtime,
with the obvious “Birds and Bees” effect during that time of year, it”s a little difficult to know exactly what that airman was thinking [Big Grin] when “planning his flight”. If indeed there was a bit of romantic activity involved, [Smile] that would certainly qualify as an “opposite situation to not wanting to fly with a peculiar captain.” However, threatening to call in “Sick (love-sick) ????? might indicate he had other things on his mind than loosing an engine on take-off.

There must have been many occasions when our chief pilots “rolled their eyes” [Roll Eyes] while dealing with some of our “unusual situations”.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory