Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Thank you, USAIR

Author Topic: Thank you, USAIR
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past Sunday my wife and I planned on going from Ft Myers to Baltimore via Charlotte on a three day trip to visit grandchildren.

The loads were forecast to be very heavy since the snowbirds all seem to be heading back north where they belong.

AA doesn't have any non-stops on this route but Southwest had five that day and so I bought us ZED fares as a backup, which it turned out we didn't need.(Note: Don't even think about selling your LUV stock.)

And fortunately, I used the first of our 6 recently-awarded D1 vacation passes or we never would have gotten out of RSW let alone CLT. Thank you USAIR!

Perhaps these remarks are unwarrented, but I personally feel that we would still be laboring under the meager pass privileges bestowed on us by AA management and its unions for the last 20+ years were it not for the influence of USAIR and the policies it has followed with other companies that it has taken over. Thank you USAIR!

As it was, we were the first non-revs boarded out of RSW and my wife even got in 1st class, at no charge, and I believe we were the only non-revs boarded out of CLT based on our D1T status.

We came home with no problem using our D2R's since we wanted to save our 5 remaining D1's for travel this summer.

I believe that our passes, with the new D1 allotment and our D2R status, now give us an overall better boarding priority that we had on TWA when we entered retiree status back then.

I have made it a practice for the past several months of asking each AA employee I deal with whether at the gate, the ticket counter, the Admiral's Club or on board whether or not they were former USAIR, and if they say yes I say " It shows and thank you for what USAIR did for us."

The icing on the cake for our trip was that parked next to our flight's gate at CLT was an AA 737 in TWA colors. It's for real, thank you USAIR!

Nick

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't possibly agree more. When USAIr and AA announced the merger I started writing letters to the USAIR person that dealt with non rev passes for retirees. She immediately responded and assured me that our TWR situation was under review. I was shocked when the announcement was made detailing how we would be treated as the merger went forward.

A year ago my mother in law had a severe stroke and then last Aug my mother passed. Both situations required travel by air. AA provided me a round trip A9 positive space pass to Lima, Peru and the same from STL to SMF. One quick phone call and I was listed and a seat assignment was issued. When arriving at the gate I found I was already placed on standby for a no charge first class upgrade. Under the old AA TWR I'm not sure if this would have been possible.

For us TWA retirees the USAIR influence in respect to non rev travel has been fantastic.

Dave Carr

[ 04-14-2016, 08:27: Message edited by: dave carr ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am happy for all the TWA retirees. And...I agree that the policy at American Airlines is more fair.

For my part as an AA retiree my status was reduced. Prior to the merger with USAirways my wife and I had the same status as active AA employees.

I never really thought that was fair....but sure enjoyed the priority. Now the system is more fair: but my wife(AA retiree FA) and I lost status.

Really the loss to us is minimal as we get 12 D-1 passes each year. That's 6 round trips each at the high status. No complaint.

That is life. "What is fair for the goose is fair for the gander."

I am headed to Peru in a couple of weeks backpacking with my sons and sons-in-law. Five of us all together. I was afraid to risk non-rev as we have specific trekking dates. So I bought an airline ticket for the first time since I was in the Army in 1969. Sure seemed odd!!

Enjoy your travels....

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob....I think you meant to say with 6 one way D-1s....that is 3 round trips per person.
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good hearing from you Jack,

Married couples who are both retirees get 6 segments as a retiree and 6 segments as the spouse of a retiree.

That makes 12 segments. Six round trips each.

Bob

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob

So when will you be in Peru? Right now I'm in the States but hope to be in Peru during the months of May and June. If we end up being down there at the same time and you have some free time in Lima maybe we can get together for some touring in the Lima area. After living off and on in Lima for the past 55 years I still love being a tourist in Peru.

If you have any questions about negotiating your way around Lima/Peru please let me know.

I'm curious to know where will you be trekking. I'm very familiar with the higher Andes and the Altiplano from Huaraz down to Puno and Colca Canyon. Hope you have a great trip.

Dave

[ 04-15-2016, 07:21: Message edited by: dave carr ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The date was February 1, 2000. It was a very good year. Sally and her old man were invited to STL to join a small gathering of our fellow employees. Our travel arrangements were made by the company (TWA). It was first class in every respect, including some of our very favorite LAX F/A’s working the flight/s. Very nice hotel accommodations were provided (by that same airline), followed by dinner and one of the most enjoyable and unforgettable moments of my life.

That flight was over sixteen years ago and my last time traveling as a passenger on any airline.

To further bore our readers and make claim to being: “one of the least (air)-traveling retired employees”, there were only three or four other “passenger flights’ during the 33 years since retiring. Two of those were at the company’s request. And never to be forgotten, the 75th birthday gift from TWA operations ....the ACM flight with one of my favorite captains, Larry Koch.

Anybody care for a bunch of unused passes?

Thanks, TWA. Nobody, nobody ever treated their employees as well in every regard.

A happy, spoiled employee,

Randy Kramer

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
That flight was over sixteen years ago and my last time traveling as a passenger on any airline.

One-upsmanship is Cap'n Eddie's forte,
For he's ahead of Capt. Randy don't you see.
In 1996 he was last on an airliner
In the days when flying was finer
And since then from the planes he's been an absentee.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since that is the case
We now have a two way race
Since Irish once said
He preferred “Driving Instead.”
This could be a very tight race!

As the loser in this contest, I’m gonna “split my ticket” or maybe even vote twice for each of you. This could very well be one of the only “Win/Win” voting opportunities we’ll ever have.

Great to see you posting, Capn Eddie [Smile]

A frequent non-flyer

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen and ladies; I feel very privileged to be able to post here because our owner does not want dog fights. We all want warm stories and we get many. Capt Kramer, you are probably the best poster. We appreciate your service to country and the love that we all have for TWA. We will never see the joy of flying as we did mainly because we were in control. I do not like going any place flying as I see crews coming down the terminals in shirts, no tie or hat and not much pride. I ALWAYS wore my hat, as F/O or as Captain because it let the public know that we were professionals in the highest class. Sorry that we have lost it.
On another subject from our friends postings, going to Peru is absolutely great. I grew up there and came home to high school to learn English. I have many places that you should visit that are historical and educational. Need some directions, will get you some. I have been to Machu Pichu 4 times, 1 before it was developed (my Dad was a geologist working for the Peruvian Government)and twice with my wife and the grand prize was when I graduated from high School. Great place. But, having said that, just south of Lima heading south are some of the most beautiful, partially restores Inca ruins. Half day trip but WOW! Going North is the same, wonderful stuff and history. Going East up towards Chosica is anther big ruin site and being restored. All within two hour drives. Inca empire was huge and very, very smart. Enjoy as life short and history is eternal.

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Dedman:
Capt Kramer, you are probably the best poster. We appreciate your service to country and the love that we all have for TWA.

Concur completely, Capt. Dedman. Not only is he the best poster, his recent rhyme puts my little bit of doggerel to shame! I'm still ahead of him in "years since last flight as an airline passenger" category, though,
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Interesting to hear from those of you that don't like to travel by air any longer. Unfortunately I'm one that is hooked on non rev travel. I can count on one hand the times in the past 15 years that I've gone to the airport and not been able to find a way to my destination. Thanks to info found on jetnet and other sites it's pretty easy to get a feel for one's place on the list of travelers and make adjustments as needed.

Fortunately I have son in the business and I get non rev travel on the other two major legacy carriers through his employment. Also the My ID Travel opens up all other airlines to non rev opportunities. And our new AA travel D2R classification along with D1s make our boarding priority so much better. And now first class travel on AA is free. On domestic forget it but on international it does happen from time to time.

So I love to non rev. Airports fascinate me, always have. If I get bumped it just means another form of adventure that I hadn't anticipated. If I must be someplace I buy a ticket (AA 20% discount??).

I agree----thanks Smilin" Jack for providing this site. Great place to share.

Dave Carr

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

quote:
Gentlemen and ladies; I feel very privileged to be able to post here because our owner does not want dog fights. We all want warm stories and we get many. Capt Kramer, you are probably the best poster. We appreciate your service to country and the love that we all have for TWA. We will never see the joy of flying as we did mainly because we were in control. I do not like going any place flying as I see crews coming down the terminals in shirts, no tie or hat and not much pride. I ALWAYS wore my hat, as F/O or as Captain because it let the public know that we were professionals in the highest class. Sorry that we have lost it.
On another subject from our friends postings, going to Peru is absolutely great. I grew up there and came home to high school to learn English. I have many places that you should visit that are historical and educational. Need some directions, will get you some. I have been to Machu Pichu 4 times, 1 before it was developed (my Dad was a geologist working for the Peruvian Government)and twice with my wife and the grand prize was when I graduated from high School. Great place. But, having said that, just south of Lima heading south are some of the most beautiful, partially restores Inca ruins. Half day trip but WOW! Going North is the same, wonderful stuff and history. Going East up towards Chosica is anther big ruin site and being restored. All within two hour drives. Inca empire was huge and very, very smart. Enjoy as life short and history is eternal.

Bob
Enjoyed your post. Always enjoy anything posted about Peru. You mentioned going out toward Chosica. My wife lived in Santa Inez right next to Chosica and I've spent much time there. Have you ever continued on up to Ticlio on the Carretera Central? What a trip. Infiernillo and then Ticlio, the highest railroad pass in the world at 16,300 feet. Yea, Macchu Pichu. You've got a ways to go to catch me. Been there 9 times-first time in 1963. No Aguas Calientes, just a train stop with a couple buses to head up to the ruins.

Dave Carr

[ 04-17-2016, 10:11: Message edited by: dave carr ]

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Nicklas:
quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:
Interesting to hear from those of you that don't like to travel by air any longer. Unfortunately I'm one that is hooked on non rev travel. Thanks to info found on jetnet and other sites it's pretty easy to get a feel for one's place on the list of travelers and make adjustments as needed.

Dave Carr

Dave,

Don't know if you are aware of a new AA bene...30 day retiree Admirals Club passes for $99...allows you and 2 guests unlimited access...clubs are all renovated and very nice.

Also if you qualify USO clubs at CLT, BWI, PHL, BOS etc are in the AA gate area and offer a nice restful place to pass time between flights.

Nick

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:
Interesting to hear from those of you that don't like to travel by air any longer. Unfortunately I'm one that is hooked on non rev travel. Thanks to info found on jetnet and other sites it's pretty easy to get a feel for one's place on the list of travelers and make adjustments as needed.

Dave Carr

Dave,

Don't know if you are aware of a new AA bene...30 day retiree Admirals Club passes for $99...allows you and 2 guests unlimited access...clubs are all renovated and very nice.

Also if you qualify USO clubs at CLT, BWI, PHL, BOS etc are in the AA gate area and offer a nice restful place to pass time between flights.

Nick

I was not aware of this benefit. We use an AA Advantage Master card. In addition to miles an additional perk is the option of gaining access to the Admiral Club on a monthly basis. Can't remember the cost but it was very reasonable. One month we made numerous trips within the States and to South America and used the clubs extensively. It was a super bargain.

Dave Carr

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, Originally, my parents worked at Cerro de Pasco so we both drove it and took the fantastic train ride. I went to school in Chosica, later school in San Isidro and then came back to the States to learn real English. All before was Spanish and I am still fluent. I am so glad to have spent my younger life in Peru as it and the people are great. As far a Machu Pichu, my first trip with Dad was on a autobus (bus on rails). No facilities at all there and we had to cross the river on a swaying rope bridge, climb by foot and then back down for return trip. It was a long, long day but what a thrill to see it. Had Kodak box camera and took black and white photos. Unfortunately, they are buried somewhere in the hundreds of pix. I have take in my 84 years.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Possibly this should be a private message, however being in response to comments “on the board”.....”Thank you, Captains Dedman and Eddie Ricketyback”. Hopefully a “third opinion” regarding the subject will not be out of order.

Personally, if it were possible to bottle and get FDC approval, most of the “stuff” written by me might well capture the market as a remedy for sleeplessness. (At least it often has such a boring affect on me.)

With this thought in mind, may others (those REALLY GREAT contributors over past years) be encouraged to again share your interesting thoughts and stories with us.

Until that time.....Capn Eddie Ricketyback reigns supreme.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Capt Randy: for once I am going against your post saying that this should be a third party issue. I totally disagree. This site was set up for us to communicate about events, screw-ups, good thing and "information". I would be very happy if some posted some great spots to travel and see, and happen to know someone there. I think that is a great help in foreign countries. We have all been there but remember when a flight attendants said, good cheap restaurant down the road, we went, we ate and we enjoyed.. I love Peru and if I can help anyone going there, I will more than be open to help them as I have a very good background of things to see and do.. I spent my pre-high school in Catholic schools know the area pretty well.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

quote:
Capt Kramer, you are probably the best poster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Captain Dedman and members of this message board,

My reference to a third opinion was ONLY in regard to your comment concerning “Best Poster.”
To this suggestion, I have attempted to humbly suggest someone I consider far more deserving of such a title.

Your thoughts concerning the purpose and value of this board and my thoughts are exactly the same.

Sorry for my apparent inability to articulate my thoughts!

May our friendship remain intact.

Randy

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You KNOW IT WILL!
Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reference the 30-day Passes for the Admiralty Club:

Here is the link: 30 day Pass for $99.00

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Gentlemen,

I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to captains Carr and Dedman for their offers of information and advice concerning my upcoming backpacking trip to Peru. Both men are true gentlemen and fellow aviators whose love for our industry:life outside the USA and mutual respect for others has been demonstrated many times by the nature of their postings and personal messages.

How much I would enjoy learning just a tiny bit of what the two of you have to offer. I learned long ago that when visiting international destinations....nothing was quite so enriching as traveling with a native or someone who had extensive experience in that culture. However this brief 11 day trip is such that there isn't time or opportunity to take advantage of that which is offered.

Since retiring nearly 9 years ago I have longed to hike the Inca Trails in Peru. It was my intention to take a 2 or 3 week backpacking trip along the "trails less traveled." My wife and I are avid campers and hikers....having hiked over 10,000 miles in the past decade. We typically camp and hike for days "off the grid" on BLM or National Forest Land, where we seldom see another human being. It is natural that an isolated Trek though Peruvian Andes would appeal to me.

Sadly I found it difficult to find other men my age who either possess the physical fitness/and or desire for such an adventure. Younger men were eager..but neither had the time or money to take such a trip. So I gave up on the notion.

Happily a year ago my oldest son-in-law said "lets do it". The only restriction being one of time. With travel time, several days to acclimate and post-trek scheduling....even a short Trek involved nearly two weeks of total commitment.

So long story short.....given the time restrictions I had to settle for 9 days in Peru, two travel days and only a 4 day 4 night Trek.

Soon two of my three sons, both sons-in-law and I will head to Peru. We will spend 3 days acclimating at Cusco's 11,000 ft. altitude. 4 days and nights Treking with elevations up to 14,000 ft. We will sleep in tents and arrive Machu Picchu at sunrise on the 4th morning. A night in Aqua Calientes and then another 24 hours in Cusco will finish our trip and find us headed home.

The good Lord willing...I will celebrate my 69th birthday among the Andes in the company of 4 of the 5 most important men in my life.

I consider our Trek to be the "Disneyland" of Inca Trail Treks. But it is the most time my sons could devote. In the final analysis I am grateful and blessed to have their company and willingness to burn much of their annual vacation.....with me.

We will only transit Lima so no time for adventures there. But several days to explore Cusco and a day/night in Aguas Calientes.

Should be a great adventure and make memories to last a lifetime.

Once again....thanks to CA Carr and Dedman.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

You are in for a great thrill and at the same time, humbled by what you see. You are among very friendly people there. One of my favorite dishes from Peru is Ceviche. The Peruvian way is simple and the very best. When at Machu Pichu, go to the hotel cafeteria and they have a large bowl and you can help yourself as many times as you like. Truly delicious. Aguas Caliente was new to me last time but we stayed in a nice lodge . The train service is great now, almost like TWA in the old days. hostesses, modeling and music. I know you will have fun. Enjoy. [Smile]
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Capt Ritchie:
How did your tour go in Peru? Love to hear about it all and your impressions of that beautiful country. cheers [Smile]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

CA Dedman,

Just back a couple days ago. The backpacking trip was brutal. I was the oldest trekker by decades, but managed to finish 4th every day, right behind my youngest son, youngest son-in-law and a Canadian hockey player who looked like a Navy Seal. Most of the group was :30 to one hour behind us each day. The group was young...only seven of us were over the age of 35! 10 Americans(five of whom were myself, sons and sons in law).... 1 Brit, 6 Canadians, 3 Australians.

Peru was everything you said and more. The food was the finest that I have eaten any where in the world at any price. The people were warm, friendly and seemed genuinely happy...despite relative, economic poverty. Perhaps..... no in fact.... a lesson for materialistic Americans.

The beauty of Peru makes Switzerland seem boring. We loved every moment. I could go on forever.

Wish that I knew how to post pictures here. But then they would do no justice to the experience.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. How blessed are you to have spent your formative youth is such a magnificent environment among such beautiful people. To have lived among the people....to have seen Machu Picchu before it was a tourist attraction.

If Americans could only share in the culture of others and spend time among those other than our selves...our lives would be so enriched: turn off hate radio....see the world as other do. But then you know that as few could others will.... the world wide experience that has been yours.

Thank you for being such a gentleman. I wish that I could have,even once, shared a cockpit with you.

p.s. If you wish to send me a private message with your email address....I will email you a few pictures. Promise! Only a few!!

God Bless!

[ 05-16-2016, 13:17: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Ca Ritchie;
glad to have you home and sure enjoyed yor comments. Yes, I was fortunate to grow up there till high school and I count my blessing. I love Peru and its people. Like you, the food is great and once in a while I will batch up some of it for us. Good stuff. Love to see your pictures. You are a very brave to have trekked the route. Bravo my friend.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory