Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » How Many Pilots Does It Take??

Author Topic: How Many Pilots Does It Take??
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 7 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recent accident in Dubai reminds us all of the value of the exceptional performance of a well-trained cabin crew in emergency situations. Most of us find it almost unbelievable that all of the passengers were able to escape that wreckage. A tremendous effort by every F/A involved and those who provided assistance on the ground.

Not having flown a B-777 or having any knowledge of the true facts concerning (leading up to) this accident, until the official final report is issued, I will attempt to follow my big brother’s advice (an accident investigator of many years) and keep any thoughts to myself.

Having said that....without implying ANY significance or relevance what-so-ever......Several “news stories” have mentioned a possible gear problem.
My only experience with gear problems over many years on the B-727 was limited to a few “burned out bulbs’” in the gears down indicator. Matter of fact, the last few years on that plane found a “spare bulb” (Think it was a 313, by number?) in the cigar pocket of my uniform shirt....since the problem normally manifested itself on a short final, having one handy made life a little easier. Anyone who flew that 727 probably had the pleasure of having the F/E locate the correct bulb, hand it to the “slippery fingered” Captain who dropped it on the floor, followed by the second one being handed to someone with “stickier fingers”. It was a “Six-Handed” procedure. Always wondered why it was not included in Recurrent.

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there was the L-1011 with the mostly square switch lights. Most had two bulbs, some with four. So, when a bulb burned out, the light would still illuminate, but somewhat dimmer. Don't recall the bulb number as there were several.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory