Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Youngest femail captian

Author Topic: Youngest femail captian
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came upon this story the other day. I was surprised at how young she was along with the copilot. Gee do I want to get on this plane?

Youngest pilot

But then it dawned on me, how young were the B-29 crews flying 3000 miles? The fighter crews etc etc.

My only concern is that the training is for managing the plane....not flying it.

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed my huge typing mistake.. I meant Female. Guess the hard wiring is coming loose.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,

That link didn't work for me. A search of the BBC web site produced this slightly different one.

P.S.: Here's a story about at least one 20-year-old B-29 Aircraft Commander in WW II.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a wonderful B-29 story found in a biography of Gen. Paul Tibbets. It seems that Tibbets was in charge of B-29 training early on. Many Army pilots were intimidated by the size and complexity of the aircraft. Tired of hearing their complaints....Tibbets selected a crew of petite female pilots from the WASP and trained them to fly the B-29. After they were qualified he sent them around to demo flying at B-29 training bases. The men were astounded to see pretty, young, women climb out of the cockpit after the demonstrations. The complaining stopped. Sadly after the women did their job....Tibbets sent them packing and did not let them fly the B-29 demos any more. Use them and forget them I guess.

w

Posts: 1940 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This link might work for you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37469713/meet-easyjets-youngest-female-airline-captain---26-year-old-kate-mcwilliams

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Capn Eddie’s story about the young B-29 pilot was found to be most interesting...BUT, the greater success story in my opinion, would have to be: Captain “Ricketyback”’s feeling well enough to continue sharing his time, adding interesting aviation stories on Captain Jack’s message board. May this positive progress continue. We/I look forward to his every post.

It’s about that B-29.....It might be understandable why some of our pilots had concerns about flying that airplane.....and no, I never flew it and didn’t really have a desire to do so.....However, rather than offer my opinion, may it be suggested that those interested do a “quick search” of “B-29 engine problems”. Some reports indicate more of those planes were lost due to mechanical problems than to enemy aircraft and flak COMBINED. The majority of the problems seemed to be ENGINE FIRES during take-off and early climb.

It may be of interest to our non-pilot members....During my flying career, there was ONLY one FALSE engine fire warning in a Connie and ONLY 1 (one) actual engine fire on a Martin 404. This problem with the B-29 was no secret.

(Most of those 20 year old kids were pretty smart for their age.)

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be of interest that during the training flights (prior to the demonstration flights) there was an engine fire encountered during one of the take-offs, even while utilizing rather unusual engine operational procedures.

Also, General Giles decided to discontinue the “Demonstrations Flights” for the reason mentioned in the following reference:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/flygirls/sfeature/waspsb29.html

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory