Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Kansas City

Author Topic: Kansas City
Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just returned from the TWA Check Airmen Reunion in Kansas City. What a Hoot! It was great to see a lot of my pilot friends! It is a funny thing how time seems to break down the paradigms of previous positions. Just a bunch of pilots hanging out! Everyone who has ever been involved in training and/or checking is welcome. The reunion next year will probably be in Kansas City again. Please come if you can. It is fun.
Also, we got to visit the TWA Museum at 10 Richards Road. They have done an excellent job of preserving our TWA history!

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 14 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky~ It was once said: “Check pilots” are similar to the “Pros for the Pros”......And that gathering of your fellow 890s (are they still called that?) and instructors had to be a group of the finest in the industry. Many of the older attendees certainly contributed to a career of enjoyable check rides received by me over the years with TWA. For this, hopefully I expressed my appreciation at the time.

An attempt at a little humor mixed with a bit of possible truth....Many, many years ago, there was a shortage of check captains here in LAX and TWA reached to the bottom of the barrel. During this period of time our chief pilot introduced me to our V/P training who asked: “What do you think about checking”?......My response, which drew a few raised eyebrows was: Well, I believe a check ride should be enjoyed by the guy being checked. And, if it is not, either he doesn’t know it (procedures) or can’t do it (fly) OR the check pilot is a horse’s ass.

Note: We must have had some very talented F/O’s during that period of time. They all passed with flying colors.

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, does anybody know anything about a reunion for slightly below average TWA Pilots? [Wink]
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Eddie Ricketyback:
Say, does anybody know anything about a reunion for slightly below average TWA Pilots? [Wink]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Captn’ Eddie,

Your sense of humor, combined with the “early morning news on Wednesday, November 9th” are most positive. (Somehow, I suspect the two are closely related).....In any event, had there been a gathering of “below average TWA pilots” over the years, certainly I would have been eligible for membership, but it sure would have been very lonely being the only one in attendance.

Keep posting, Captain Billy,

An “iron ass”, ex-part time 890.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Part 2)

Rocky,

Your recent topic concerning the check airmen reunion has brought back many memories of “unforgettable” experiences with our airline. Sixty years ago, (1956) some of my fellow classmates and I found ourselves assigned to the Detroit Domicile for Captain upgrading. (Eleven years had gone by since our hiring in the summer of 1945).....During this training program, I met an instructor/check pilot, whose warm friendly demeanor will never be forgotten.

His name was Captain Burt Cooper. The occasion was my first rating ride on TWA. The aircraft...a Martin 404....As we settled in the cockpit, he smiled and said these words: “Randy, I’m not going to play any tricks on you. I’m just going to watch you fly.”

I believe a little bit of Captain Burt Cooper “rubbed off” on most every one in TWA’s training Department.

Randy Kramer

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory