Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Capt. Joe Heaston flys west

Author Topic: Capt. Joe Heaston flys west
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see by the TARPA site that Joe Heaston has passed away. He retired about 10 years early. Must have been scared off by Carl Ican. Joe was a great guy. Carl was not.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about Captain Heaston, who I never knew, but we had a lot in common. I retired about 9 years early, also being scared off by Icahn. The main factor in my early retirement, though, was the opportunity for a lump some payment, thereby removing the opportunity for the company to make future changes in my retirement benefits to my detriment. The downside, of course, was settling for a lot less than I would have gotten had I "stayed the course." Providing, of course, that the company would have survived that long, of which I had great doubts. To my great surprise, it did survive that long, and about 7 years longer.

It worked out fine for me, though, as thanks to a bull market, I was able to manage a very nice lifestyle over the last 30 years. I estimate that I've spent my settlement about 3 times and still have about what I received. That's not considering inflation, but I have 30 years less to live now than I did then. Given my current circumstances, I have no worries about outliving my funds (Wish I did, dammit!).

Charlie Jennings
Post Captain
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Jennings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with everything Roger said -- Joe was, indeed a great guy and Carl was/is, well we all know what Carl was/is!

Charlie

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory