Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Haven't seen "Sully" yet?

Author Topic: Haven't seen "Sully" yet?
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither have I, but it's now available on Amazon Video for $4.99 for a 24 hour rental. I plan to watch it as soon as possible.

It's best viewed on a large TV (in my case a 60") through its Amazon app if it is so equipped or through your computer hooked up to your TV with an HDMI or equivalent cable. If you don't know how get a grandchild or a neighborhood urchin to set it up for you. I prefer this method of watching movies in the comfort of my media room with the ability to stop it when desired.

You may find it HERE.

[ 01-05-2017, 10:00: Message edited by: Capn Eddie Ricketyback ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From someone who is not an expert on judging what Hollywood “cranks out” under the title of modern day entertainment, a DVD Christmas present (Sully) from my daughter was found to be most interesting. There was nothing in the movie to change anyone’s original opinion that the performance of Sully and his crew made every professional flight crew member “stand a little taller with pride”.

Being of the belief that once the aircraft encountered the bird strike and lost all power,... we will probably ALL agree that the remaining moments until the landing in the river and the the evacuation were executed with the utmost of perfection and admiration.....Once again, a “Salute” and a “Thank You” to Captain Sully and his crew..

Of interest to some.... The question has been asked, and I believe answered by Captain Sully, himself, concerning how many airline pilots could have accomplished the same results, under identical conditions......Hopefully we may never know the answer to that. I do however believe that most pilots would have reached the same decision to land on the river at ABOUT that same point and time.

It should be added that my only jet experience with TWA was during the days of the “three and four man crews”. Under the FARs, slower moving flying items (birds) had the “rightaway” and those extra two/four eyes were a great help during the more critical low altitude, maneuvering in high density traffic areas.

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched it, and heartily agree with Capt. Randy's and others' opinions here of the movie. In my opinion, it's one of the best, if not THE best airline movie I've yet seen. A couple of little quibbles... I don't recall ever being addressed as "Captain" by a Flight Attendant, but maybe it happened once or twice. Could be that that airline's culture was different, though. Also, I don't believe that Sully's quite that low-key in real life based on his TV appearances.

One that comes close was the 1995 movie "Falling from the Sky: Flight 174." It was based on this 767's landing on an abandoned airfield after running out of fuel over Canada in 1983 due to a screw-up between the metric and imperial systems (I always have hated that damned metric system!). It was also quite realistic, and William Devane and the rest of the cast did a great job.

[ 01-05-2017, 19:40: Message edited by: Capn Eddie Ricketyback ]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to beat the "old" High and Mighty.
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Dedman:
Hard to beat the "old" High and Mighty.

You're right about that, Robert. It's also available for rental on
Amazon Video for $3.99. Notice on the same page right below it another golden oldie, "Island in the Sky," also adapted from a book by Ernest K. Gann.

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw "Sully"; thought it a great movie and will defer to all y'all who sat in the pointy end of the plane to speak to the accuracy of what the aircrew did. I will say that the ATC controller did all the right things as well: He ID'd the aircraft, he gave snap vectors to the nearest airfields, he maintained radio contact, he notified his supervisor of the emergency, and he was prepared to give traffic advisories. I can say all this with some degree of credibility because this is pretty close to what I was did at a radar site in Southeast Asia for a year way back when. I will add I was surprised to see the controller taken off scope and sent to the break room to get over it. I always had to stay put and get ready for the next emergency. I guess that controller had a better union than mine.
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen the movie, The taking of Flight 847? I saw that movie on TV several times long ago and I recorded it. I'm wondering if it will even play its been so long..on VHS.

The aerial footage they used of the 727 was amazing.

You can order the movie via amazon as VHS. No streaming unfortunately.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=the+taking+of+flight+847

I was skeptical about the movie Sully as I figured it would be another typical over kill with special effects from Hollywood. But I thought it was a good movie as well.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory