Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » This ain't the same industry that we worked in!

Author Topic: This ain't the same industry that we worked in!
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a first time for everything, I suppose, but this is one that is too implausible for the most fanciful fiction writer to write. The story looks credible, but something inside me wants it to be some kind of hoax.

Read it and weep.

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess those guys were too cool to use a checklist.
Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article says both pilots were women. Is that a factor?
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky Dollarhide:
The article says both pilots were women. Is that a factor?

I think that is what's known as
"The Elephant in the Room." Everybody knows it's there, but pretends not to notice.

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1983, when women were first being assigned to the USAF AWACS mission crews, I had, at one time, several assigned to my crew. At that time there were two surveillance techs, a radar tech, and a comm tech assigned to me. Perhaps the time period was a factor of them being new to the crew force but each of the was diligent and good at their job.

My 'problem children' were the 3 male, l 2Lt. weapons directors who thought their stuff didn't stink. In fact, they were like brand new hatched chicks who woke up every morning in a new universe. The three on my crew drove the senior weapons director and me nuts. We spent a a lot of time making them unhappy....but at the end of the day, they were better.

My time in the USAF made me very task oriented and I came to see people as those who could do the job and those who couldn't. For me, none of those things which with we categorize people (size, shape, color, etc, etc) matter; you either perform or you don't.

By the way, when I accessed the link to the story I saw a video aboutt an LOT 767 landing gear up. Any idea who was sitting in the two seats in the pointy end of the plane? Having tits is not enough to make you overlook the "gear up" or "gear down" step on the checklist.

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being Women should NOT be a factor! However, different cultures have different standards regarding the professional performance and standards for the different genders. Just an observation.
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Absolutely, Rocky, and this is where a decent training program becomes a factor. Of course, management must be willing to buck traditional cultural norms and insist on the one standard of performance for everybody. There also needs to be an HR department with the guts to fire those who need to be culled from the herd.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory