Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » American Airlines   » financially distressed (again)!

Author Topic: financially distressed (again)!
Bob Bayless
Post Captain
Member # 745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Bayless   Email Bob Bayless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here we go again. The company is in bad shape. Furloughs are in the wind. A bailout is needed. Give backs may be necessary.

This turns on it's head any arguement that the APA has tried to make concerning the worth of TWA's employees - that only a trailer park work force would work for a company the the above mentioned problems.

We had our Osama in Carl Icahn. We had our World Trade Center with Flight 800. We had our downsizing. Hopefully, AA employees will now be more understanding.

Bob

Posts: 220 | From: 1348 S. Victoria Ave, Columbia, Mo. 65201  |  IP: Logged
Bob H
Post Captain
Member # 287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob H   Email Bob H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob-

While I may understand your (apparent) frustrations and *opinions* above.

It would be my heartfelt request that you delete your posted feelings and opinions written above.

This is not the time for such comments.

Most Sincerely-

Bob Herbst

gt66k
Post Captain
Member # 223

Icon 13 posted      Profile for gt66k         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob B. Very poor taste.My hope is nobody ever has to go through the fear of having a very uncertain future reguardless of the Who or Why or employer.There but by the grace of God .......
rampguy
Post Captain
Member # 632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rampguy   Email rampguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As hated as Icahn is....He ain't no Osama. Now that isn't taking up for Carl at all. However this can't compare with what just happened and I for one would hope like hell there never ever will be anything in comparison again. As BobH. stated, I also understand your frustration but right now is not the time or place.
Bob Bayless
Post Captain
Member # 745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Bayless   Email Bob Bayless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.K. Maybe it is not the time or place, but it was on my mind at the time.

However, there are at least some now in the APA who still challenge our validity and want to see all of TWA go before any AA employees. That is more vulgar than what I posted.

Posts: 220 | From: 1348 S. Victoria Ave, Columbia, Mo. 65201  |  IP: Logged
Super 9
Post Captain
Member # 832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super 9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to take up for Bob here guys. He did not say he hopped the same malities that have befallen us in the past would happen to American. He only stated he hoped the APA would be a bit more understanding now.

I also read some where that the APA wanted all TWA pilots furloughed before any APA members. I know AMR would never go for this but if they push this or any other divisive ideas, I don't care what anyone says they will *NOT* ride my jumpseat from DFW or ORD to STL.

Super 80
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, it has been our point that we sign up and take our chances. Nobody predicted this and APA has no real say on how anyone is furloughed.

Now if you're going to get angry you ought to at least get angry with the people that are responsible for this, those God damn terrorists.

Maybe instead of taking it out on some American hot heads that are just spouting off and punishing people that have no animus towards you at all, maybe you'd like to change your mind just a little bit.

Attitude is everything.

IP: Logged
Super 80
unregistered

AND GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT: APA NEVER PUSHED FOR TWA FURLOUGHS FIRST.
CKA
Junior Poster
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CKA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super 9,

Nice threat. This is a war you don't want to start bubba. 11,705 to 2,400. I don't think you'll win. You'll be jumpseating a whole lot less than us.

How about someone getting this jerk under control?

Or, is this the "new" TWA attitude?

CKA

Neubyfly
Post Captain
Member # 360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neubyfly   Email Neubyfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Super 80:
AND GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT: APA NEVER PUSHED FOR TWA FURLOUGHS FIRST.

Are you sure?

Besides, have you read C&R lately?

Super 80
unregistered

Yes I've been on it quite a bit too. There are some hot heads that want you to be furloughed first. But you'll have to show me an APA communiqué that says that.

I stand by my words until you show me otherwise.

Bob H
Post Captain
Member # 287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob H   Email Bob H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S80 & CKA-

First my sincerest thoughts and prayers for those the AA family lost last week.

I hope none of us shall ever forget last weeks GREAT loss to our airline family.

Bob H

Bob H
Post Captain
Member # 287

It just didn't feel right putting the two messages together so here's the second one.

Last night I received copies of emails sent to the APA pilots from two different union reps.

They were from the APA leadership in DFW & SFO.

Unfortunately, they very pointedly stated that they (APA's position) believed that TWALLC pilots should be furloughed before any AA pilots and that the FAA would grant an emergency letter to AA to authorize a "pink sheet" training bulletin in order for the AA pilots to immediately start flying the TWALLC aircraft.

They were meeting today in DFW in attempt to force a change in AA's position that the furloughs will be (more or less) spread around between AA/TW & AE.

It's been a rather difficult week and a lot of this stuff just doesn't seem real important depending on my frame of mind from one minute to the next so if my paraphrasing above is a little off, my apology.

Irregardless of what APA's position is or that of the few "hot heads" as suggested.. It's most unfortunate, especially now, that some of us can't find enough reasons to offer mutual respect for our fellow professional pilots be they TW, AA or AE.

I can only apologize for any personal and emotional attacks directed at ANY AA pilots by my fellow TW employees.

I am not shy about stating this opinion to ANY TW pilot and will gladly provide my jumpseat to ANY AA pilot (at least when the FAA let's us).

Good luck and wishes to ALL of us AA & TW.

Peace-

Bob H

(edited for the APA reps after I received another copy of the letters)

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Bob H ]

smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob....I recieved that message a couple of days ago, however I wasen't going to post it. I guess now I will have to......in the TWA private site.

Jack

Super 80
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Bob H:
Last night I received copies of emails sent to the APA pilots from two different union reps. They were from the APA leadership in DFW & SFO.

Unfortunately, they very pointedly stated that they (APA's position) believed that TWALLC pilots should be furloughed before any AA pilots and that the FAA would grant an emergency letter to AA to authorize a "pink sheet" training bulletin in order for the AA pilots to immediately start flying the TWALLC aircraft.

I didn't get their letter as I am in DCA, although some had suggested it.

quote:
Irregardless of what APA's position is or that of the few "hot heads" as suggested.. It's most unfortunate, especially now, that some of us can't find enough reasons to offer mutual respect for our fellow professional pilots be they TW, AA or AE.

Regardless of what a Board of Director says or wants, they are only a part of the Union. There is a Board, so that a faction will not run away in an extremist fashion. We have the National Officers now that can temper any Board decision too. Those checks and balances were noticeably absent when a group of politically motivated individuals at the head of the organization (Lavoy and Mayhew) captured a majority of board members and ran roughshod over the lawyers and consultants and took the membership down the river over Reno Air.

So you will have to show me where the Union said that they wanted TWA furloughed first.

If you want to get your feelings hurt, that'll be easy to do. I'm sure you'll have plenty of fodder to chew on when you gain full access to the C&R archives.

That said, now is not the time to focus on our differences, or our hurts. APA is not deciding on how the furloughs are proceeding. Nor are they pushing for a TWA goes first strategy. They ARE trying to protect jobs and people's lives. That NOW includes YOU.

quote:
I can only apologize for any personal and emotional attacks directed at ANY AA pilots by my fellow TW employees.

You did not offend anyone; you should not have to apologize for someone else's hot head. Although I understand where you're coming from and appreciate it. Super 9 needs to apologize.

Peace and Unity to you too.

Mark

gobysky
Post Captain
Member # 433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gobysky   Email gobysky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Bayless, I for one, will not condemn you for your comments. I agree, the APA’s actions are far more vulgar than anything we could post here. I feel your pain.
shutupbeavis
Junior Poster
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shutupbeavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as TWA's MEC often doesn't reflect how most of our pilots feel on many topics, I try to remember that APA's reps. and hotheads may not represent the majority of AA pilots, too.

We'll just have to ride this out like always and pray the furloughs don't go deep or long.beavis

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory