Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » American Airlines   » AA Layoffs announced

Author Topic: AA Layoffs announced
Bob Bayless
Post Captain
Member # 745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Bayless   Email Bob Bayless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On compuserve - AA to layoff 20,000 across all of AA, Eagle, and TWA.
Posts: 220 | From: 1348 S. Victoria Ave, Columbia, Mo. 65201  |  IP: Logged
MaxEPR
Post Captain
Member # 638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxEPR   Email MaxEPR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, in STL , the Chief Pilot and other management were answering questions in ops. Their opinion was that there would be minimal Pilot layoffs , due to many factors , but mainly the fact that APA has 35% of their Pilots in the reserves.
It was stated that the other airlines were following the same path regarding Pilot layoffs.
For what its worth.

KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLF   Email KarenLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, whatever......
for what its worth!
This is a terrible thing for 20,000 employees who work for AA and other airlines who need to do the same thing!

Karen

G4G5
Post Captain
Member # 813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G4G5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
35% sounds extremely high. While I have no factual data, I do have a friend of mine at UAL who told me that their reserve/guard pilots make up approx 10%, at a little over 1000. I find it hard to believe that AA has 4200 reservists. Over 4x the number that UAL has, again that's IMO, let's hope I am wrong.

Does anyone have the exact figures?
Does anyone know how many of the 50,000 GB plans to activate are pilots?

Super 80
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that sounds about right for an airline that is 85% military. I'd had been in the reserves, but my airplane is in the boneyard.
IP: Logged
Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxEPR:
Yesterday, in STL , the Chief Pilot and other management were answering questions in ops. Their opinion was that there would be minimal Pilot layoffs , due to many factors , but mainly the fact that APA has 35% of their Pilots in the reserves.
It was stated that the other airlines were following the same path regarding Pilot layoffs.
For what its worth.

Can you tell us what some of the other factors were? Worried minds would like to know.

Keith Bounds
The Big Boss
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Bounds   Email Keith Bounds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt Kudwa stated in his 9/19 KUDWA HOTLINE MESSAGE:

As the nation prepares for war, we have about 200 pilots out on military leave. We have more than 1000 other reservists who could be called up during a full war. The government is expecting a long drawn out war and we are expecting a long recovery process.

Tom Mabrey
Post Captain
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Mabrey   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mabrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additionally, American Airlines is concerned about the crew members who may be called for reserve duty in the armed forces and the upshot to its operations. Calling up pilots for action could leave the carrier without enough to steer the planes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from
AMR sends an S.O.S. to Congress
Without help, liabilities 'may exceed' assets, carrier says
By Jennifer Waters, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 3:33 PM ET Sept. 19, 2001

MaxEPR
Post Captain
Member # 638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxEPR   Email MaxEPR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the 35% figure was high also, so I asked the Pilot next to me what he heard. That's what he heard.
To be honest I missed the " other factors ", as I was hurrying to a flight.

Super 80
unregistered

Right now, it's 386 from AA and 120 from TWA. It is effective Oct 1. The company is claiming the National Emergency gives it an escape from the contract furlough provisions.

Mark

B727DRVR
Post Captain
Member # 133

Icon 5 posted      Profile for B727DRVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the furlough protection was only for the individuals hired prior to April 10th??
Super 80
unregistered

Yes, but there are escape clauses that would void that. AMR has claimed one of them.

Mark

Bob H
Post Captain
Member # 287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob H   Email Bob H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In THIS round of furloughs the AA guys may have come out ahead..

-The percentage of TW furloughs is amost twice as many.

-(I think) All of the AA furloughs were hired AFTER the "proposed" March 12, 2001 APA seniority integration date.

The TW guys go back to July 2000 seniority dates.

I'm NOT judging this as right OR wrong just offering some analysis.

Bob H

Super 80
unregistered

I think your comparison is superfluous. Obviously, AMR is not paring by DOH. You have two separate airlines. They made a cut. Further cuts may be necessary unless we get more people back in the air flying.
G4G5
Post Captain
Member # 813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G4G5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob H:
In THIS round of furloughs the AA guys may have come out ahead..

-The percentage of TW furloughs is amost twice as many.

-(I think) All of the AA furloughs were hired AFTER the "proposed" March 12, 2001 APA seniority integration date.

The TW guys go back to July 2000 seniority dates.

I'm NOT judging this as right OR wrong just offering some analysis.

Bob H

No Judging either but from what I can see the 386 AA pilots also equates to the number of 727 f/e jobs. The 120 TWA jobs equaates to the DC9 jobs. AA has invoked the "National Emergency", which means anything goes. The 506 are F effective 10/1.

IMHO I would expect to see a grounding of the 727 and DC9 fleets effective 10/1. From what I understand, the next round of cuts is coming. The MD11 are rumored to be grounded immediatly too.

twa2amr
Post Captain
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twa2amr   Email twa2amr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking fair and saving money are probably the two driving factors of the furloughs. Contractual issues following in a distant third.
fly892
Junior Poster
Member # 675

Icon 10 posted      Profile for fly892     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AA had a very sound business plan....
With the changes they are making...
They will have a great business plan that
will speed their recovery......
I for one will be layed off next week...
I expect to be back in 3 or 4 months and am looking forward to a great future with a company that likes me, but doesn't love me..
TWA layed me off 3 times...One with AA isn't
all that bad...Let's give them a chance..

twa2amr
Post Captain
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twa2amr   Email twa2amr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fly892

I hope to see you back in three or four months!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory