Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » American Airlines   » Pilot flips bird, gets busted

Author Topic: Pilot flips bird, gets busted
Captain Ed
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonNews/es.es-01-15-0089.html
Thursday, January 15, 2004

Pilot flips bird, gets busted

By AP

SAO PAULO, Brazil -- An American Airlines pilot, arrested yesterday after making an obscene gesture during immigration formalities at a Brazilian airport, has agreed to pay a $12,750 US fine, a federal prosecutor said.

The pilot, Dale Hirsh, lifted his middle finger while undergoing a new fingerprinting and photographing process put in place by Brazil for U.S. citizens Jan. 1, said prosecutor Matheus Magnani.

Hirsh was hussled to a federal courthouse near Sao ..........

http://moregleny.com/captainedcartoon.gif

IP: Logged
Captain Ed
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another with better details.

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/hersh.jpg
Bird-Flipping Pilot Riles Brazilians
Capt. Dale Robin Hersh discovered the Brazilian authorities' preferred level of etiquette after last Wednesday allegedly offering the middle-digit salute in response to Brazil's new requirement that American visitors submit to photographs and fingerprinting ... which is how Brazilians are welcomed to the U.S. under new security rules. Hersh's alleged gesture (maybe that's how he always holds things) landed him in a federal courthouse where formal charges awaited, but "Since this was a minor crime, I proposed that he be fined $12,750, which will be donated to a home for the elderly," Matheus Baraldi Magnani told the Associated Press. Hersh was looking at hard time in a Brazilian prison until his airline came up with $12,750 to soothe the indignity suffered by the disrespected security officials at Sao Paulo's Guarulhos International Airport. (Brazil has laws against "showing contempt to authorities.") Had the charges gone through, he could have faced two years in prison. By the time the expensive etiquette lesson had been administered, however, the photo of Hersh in his now-infamous pose had been released to the local papers. Brazilian officials said they were inundated with phone calls of support from local residents applauding the arrest and fine. All of South America is on a list of countries whose citizens must be fingerprinted and photographed before entering the U.S.

IP: Logged
chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flipped the bird, and from the picture, I guess he thought it was funny.

The next day when he was in cuffs, he didn't look as chipper.

American, like it or not, is one of this Country's flag carriers...much like Pan Am and TWA were 20-70 years ago.

When someone pulls this stunt, it makes the whole country look like arrogance pigs, able to do whatever we want, whenever we want. Not surprised if foreigners consider AA, as Arrogant Airlines.

Hopefully, as American moves into the flag carrier position held by such greats as Pan Am, TWA - they will remember they are representitives of our country and guests in other people's country.

When in Rome.......

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chrispy,

Speaking of Rome....... a few decades ago,one of those U.S. "Flag Carriers" busted up an airliner while attempting to land at Rome. The Italians arrested the captain and threw him in prison. He didn't look too chipper either.

If we are going judge one another; be careful to avoid the glass that surrounds us all.

Bob Ritchie

[ 02-09-2004, 08:54: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
GDesloge
Post Captain
Member # 76

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDesloge   Email GDesloge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob-

I'm not sure that I understand the correlation. An act of deliberate defiance versus an accident, which, by definition, is "accidental". Thanks for the clarification.

Gaines

chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

Weren't you the same guy who told me and 1800 other unemployed TWA pilots, Dont worry how the APA integrates us, you'll be getting a large pay raise, and how TWA should have done a math check on me because I didn't realize I was getting a pay raise. I'm just curious, that was you wasn't it. If I have mixed up with someone else, accept my apology. (Although I did save the posting)

Care to know how much Unemployment is after taxes- $750/month.

Unemployment that ran out with no extension:
Priceless

Thanks for your comments Bob, I will take it to heart.
Take Care and Enjoy "your time", Bob.

[ 02-09-2004, 11:35: Message edited by: chrispy ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GDesloge,

The Italian authorities considered the captain's actions to have constituted a deliberate act and a crime.

I read the accident report and thought it to be pure b.s. I feel that the arrest of the AA captain was b.s. as well.

Bet you a nickel that had the offender been a TWA captain, wearing a TWA uniform.........

Bob R.

Don Capt Skypig Foldy
Post Captain
Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Capt Skypig Foldy   Email Don Capt Skypig Foldy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..as it SHOULD be...TWA ALL THE WAY..
Posts: 1222 | From: "behind the cyclic, below the clouds"  |  IP: Logged
GDesloge
Post Captain
Member # 76

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDesloge   Email GDesloge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob-

Thanks for the connection. I still view them as entirely different circumstances, since the individual pilot's intentions were the crux of the issue.

Gaines

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he'd done it to TSA screeners the consequences would probably have been similar. It does not matter who he flies for, he is accountable for his actions.
PilotDude
Junior Poster
Member # 1457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PilotDude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob --

The arrest of the AA Captain was BS? You have got to be joking!!!

As we travel the world, we absolutely must respect the laws and the governments of every country we visit, and that goes double for flight crew members. We have a much higher profile while in the airport than other passengers.

When that Captain flipped the bird while getting his picture taken, he was showing his disrespect for not only the immigration officers taking the picture, but he insulted the government of Brazil itself.

If I'd been the Judge down there, he'd still be sitting in a rat-infested prison somewhere. For a long, long time.

chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Bob,

Insulting a goverment during a security ck is BS ?

Well Bob, I think B.S is you throwing off your plane/the jetway a volunteer who, for free, was trying to help generate customer loyalty and was trying to possibly help the job security for ALL AMR employees and the 75% of the TWA pilots that are on the street.

When I get recalled in 3-5 years maybe we can fly together. Until then, I'm still doing the math on that huge payraise you pointed out to me.

1995 Hire - July 03' Furloughee
June 10th seniority date - 3 months AFTER the merger date.

[ 02-10-2004, 03:16: Message edited by: chrispy ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Chris,

I sincerly hope that you are recalled in less than 3 to 5 years. Given your DOH however; three years is probably a good estimate.

You will have to hurry, if we are to fly together, as I am down to only 39 months. It would be a pleasure to work with you, as folks have alway spoken highly of you, including Dave Carr's comments on this message board. I too remember your positive efforts prior to the AA purchase.

Hopefully things will improve for you while you await the recall. Several furloughed f/o's have stayed in contact with me. I am happy to report that several of them have found resonable employement: jobs at North American, Cathay Pacific, ATA, Jet Blue, Air Tran, Gulf Air, Thai Air, UAE, SouthEast, TransStates, Corporate Air and several private, corporate-jet, turboprop and piston pounder jobs.

Best Wishes,

bob ritchie

[ 02-10-2004, 17:50: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

PilotDude
Junior Poster
Member # 1457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PilotDude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob --

Is it true that you are the one who threw Randy off the jetway? I had heard rumors that something like that happened, but I couldn't believe that it was true.

That is utterly disgusting. I certainly don't know the actual situation, but I just can't imagine it.

Bob Bayless
Post Captain
Member # 745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Bayless   Email Bob Bayless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get a big pay raise.

Then when my furlough pay and unemployment ran out, I took a bigger cut.

Anyway, at least I don't have to complete that darned recurrent training bulletin.

Posts: 220 | From: 1348 S. Victoria Ave, Columbia, Mo. 65201  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory